Ping Ray O re mice

Ray, I sent you this in an email but I guess you didn't get it. Would any special settings of the heater controls block the entry of mice into the system? I am wondering if setting the control on re-circulate would help - or setting the heat on cold - or setting the selector on defrost.

---MIKE---

>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire >> (44=B0 15' N - Elevation 1580')
Reply to
---MIKE---

---MIKE---

****************

Sorry Mike, I didn't get your e-mail.

I don't think any particular settings on the heater controls will block the entry of mice or rodents from the system more than other settings. When you set the system to the various positions - floor, dash, defroster, etc, a damper inside the ductwork moves, but there is no position that completely seals the system. In other words, critters could theoretically get in from the position that the system is set to - through the floor ducts if the system is set to floor, defroster ducts if the system is set on defrost, etc.

I suppose that if the system is set to recirculate, critters would have a harder time getting in from outside, but then they would still be stuck in the plenum leading outside.

The temperature setting is controlled by a valve in the heater hose so there are no mice getting in there.

Check the plastic screening along the base of the windshield to make sure it has not been chewed through anywhere.

I do not know how well ultrasonic pest chasers work, but this company

is well known for making mouse traps so perhaps one of these gizmos in the passenger compartment may work.

Reply to
Ray O

I wonder if putting a small container of used cat litter (after scooping) would make mice think a cat was in the car.

---MIKE---

Reply to
---MIKE---

Nope....

I'll tell you one thing that worked for me was putting a JT Eaton Stick-Em mouse trap in the car.

It is a tray with a bit of Peanut Butter scent on a very sticky surface.

Rodent gets hungry.

Rodent gets on the trap.

Rodent is stuck....waiting for you to help it meet its maker.....

No mess...

Just be CAREFUL not to touch the sticky stuff...

Available at Home Depot

Reply to
Scott in Florida

---MIKE---

I don't think the cat litter trick will work very well. If the car is parked in an enclosure, I'd set out poison or mouse traps. If it is parked outside, I'd think about one of those sticky mouse traps.

Reply to
Ray O