Ping Ray - the sequel

Lately, my Echo has been making a wumpa-wumpa sound at higher speeds. I thought it might have been the one tire that I know is bent (They said it didn't need immediate replacement), but it seems to be getting louder. Could it be the compressor, since my A/C is on full blast most of the time? Or is it probably something costly. That 2000 car still has its original exhaust system, so I thought that might be it as well. Toyotas are great, but their exhaust often sucks. Gas mileage is still pretty damned good (31 mpg city despite the full speed A/C).

Your thoughts?

:-)

Natalie, bracing herself.

Reply to
Wickeddoll

Without hearing the sound, it is difficult to determine the source, but cars generally make wumpa-wumpa sounds for several. Possible causes are a broken belt in a tire, bent wheel, bad wheel bearing, bad constant velocity (CV) joint. The sound will always be related to vehicle speed rather than engine speed if one of those are the cause. If the wumpa-wumpa sound is coming from the car while it is sitting still, check the back seat.

Check the tire for any unusual lumps or bulges because a blow that is hard enough to bend the wheel can easily breaks an internal belt in the tire. If the sound is getting louder, the internal tire damage may be getting worse and is very dangerous because it can blow out. A broken belt is often but not always detectable visually. The easiest way to check whether the tire or the wheel is the cause of the sound is to mount the spare and see if it goes away.

Whatever bent the tire could also have bent the tie rod that connects the steering rack to the front wheels, bent a control arm, damaged the axle or CV joint.

An failing AC compressor will generally make a whining and groaning sound, not a wumpa-wumpa sound (ducking for the fwap), and using the AC tends to prolong its life rather than shorten it because the oil that is mixed with the refrigerant keeps things lubed better and keeps seals from drying out.

A failing exhaust system just sounds loud and the sound is related to engine speed, not vehicle speed.

So, bottom line, try the spare and see if it goes away. If it does, do not re-mount the bad tire/wheel until you can get a replacement.

Good luck!

Reply to
Ray O

Also, look for uneven or unusual tire wear because the car probably needs an alignment after the wheel strike.

Good luck!

Reply to
Ray O

Bad bearings - need replacement at $500!

*sigh* so much for the extra income from my second job...

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll

If you get service department mailers from your local Toyota dealer, look for a "customer's choice" xx% off any job. On a bigger job, that can add up.

That sounds a little high for wheel bearings, - crying sometimes helps to get the price down ;-)

Reply to
Ray O

They say it's all the bearings and something about 'pressure mount' - Greek to me.

Bend over!

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll

The old bearings have to be pressed out of the hub and the new bearings have to be pressed back in. As the name of the procedure implies, a press is needed to do this, but using a press only takes a few minutes.

Reply to
Ray O

I guess I looked pitiful enough for a lower price - not much...$450. Guy asked, "How are you, Mrs. Larkowski?" I said, "Quite a bit poorer." He then told me about the lower price. Big effing deal. I also had an oil change.

*sigh*

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll

Just go in wearing that bikini top you WON'T show US!!!!

(running and ducking!!!) ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku

Shoulda worn that Bikini top!!!

(*fwap* shields UP!!!)

Reply to
Hachiroku

*fwap*

NOW you tell me...

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll

I'm sure it won't make you feel any better....but imagine what the bill would have been if you had had a Ford....and I bet that same bill would re occur many times over in the life of the Ford.

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Oh I think heaven every day for not having a GM...

Cool sig!

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll

Hey, 10% is better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, and the wumpa-wumpa should be gone!

Reply to
Ray O

Yeah, it's gone, but for that price, it should sing a Motown medley.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll

Yup, watch out for those potholes and curbs!

Reply to
Ray O

There aren't many potholes around here - more than likely it's leftover from when my son used to drive my car to air-soft meets.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Yup, teen drivers can be a little rough on the ride!

Reply to
Ray O

BTW, how much would YOU have charged for that job?

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

A dozen CHEWY chocolate chip or oatmeal cookies ;-)

Reply to
Ray O