Plan on driving a new car on a 3000mile highway trip. Bad idea?

that's as logical as saying that because you've never found an elephant in your fridge, that elephants don't like butter.

high mileage survival is not a function of your, er, "departure" from the service schedule - hondas and toyotas ROUTINELY get 300k+ miles on a motor, no re-bores. all that 240k proves is that [because of good production and engineering] it has survived in spite of your behavior, not because of it.

Reply to
jim beam

eh? so your problem is still my fault?

if you could actually use rpn, you wouldn't be here.

Reply to
jim beam

Admit it, I'm right. Period.

Reply to
Hachiroku

No, if you read it correctly, you're still my problem

We all used RPN back then.

And slide rules before that.

Reply to
Hachiroku

dude, you don't know what you don't know. and because of that, you're propagating bullshit.

Reply to
jim beam

i'm not your problem! your ignorance and subsequent bullshit is your problem!

who's "we"?

so you're an old fart. how is it possible to reach that age without learning anything? missing gene perhaps?

jim beam

Bad idea to do the first oil change at 1500 miles, and totally unnecessary, with absolutely no benefit, of doing 3000 mile oil changes after that.

LOL. with 3000 mile oil changes you never knew whether they burned oil or not.

Never change the oil at 1500 miles on a new car.

Reply to
SMS

Been doing it for a long time. Seems to work. I have a couple of 20 year old cars here.

4 quarts going in, 4 quarts coming out, no smoke from the tailpipe. Sounds good to me.

Why? I do it all the time and get rewarded with cars that go >200,000 miles with no oil related problems. Matter of fact, no problems at all, hardly.

Maintenance is a wonderful thing.

Phew...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Bite me. I know plenty. I have 3 20 year old cars here that run like champs.

Maintenance is a wonderful thing. I sure hope the OP left long before you started your spew. If he listens to you he'll probably be scrapping the car at 50,000 miles.

I've seen people do the "Break it in like you're going to drive it" crap and have to do some pretty major repairs, not only to the engines, but to the transmissions, too. Oh, and I change my trans oil (Manual) every

60,000 miles, too. The manual says it's good for the life of the car. No thanks.

Oh, hey, did I ever mention, one of the cars that went over 225,000 miles was an auto. The rest were 5 speeds, and ya know what? They did it on the original clutches. Never replaced a U-Joint, either, and I certainly don't drive them like Grandpa. I own fast cars cause I like to drive FAST.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Those of us with brains.

By not listening to know-it-alls.

Reply to
Hachiroku

This article says, "Learning from failures."

Having never failed, no lesson need be learned. There are books and SMART people out there. I learn by doing and picking brains. I see yours is picked clean.

Reply to
Hachiroku

So why didn't you change the oil every 1000 miles or every 500 miles? It would have had the same effect on longevity as 3000 mile oil changes or

5000 mile oil changes. Don't you want to buy all the cheap insurance you can buy?

You seem to think that getting 200,000 miles out of a car is some spectacular achievement that requires doing far more maintenance than necessary.

Recreational oil changing is pretty wasteful. All the experts agree that there is no additional benefit to the engine from changing the oil that often.

Reply to
SMS

So what is your response when the Corvette engineers document that very behavior as the desired state?

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

whatever do you mean??? there's /huge/ benefit for the oilcos in separating fools from their money!

Reply to
jim beam

seems your reading comprehension isn't too strong. that may explain why you can't follow written instructions, but it sure is scary to witness.

Reply to
jim beam

no elephants in your refrigerator, so elephants don't like butter...

Reply to
jim beam

Hey, look! It's the meeting of the local Mensa chapter!

How long have you two managed to keep a car running, and looking like brand new?

Reply to
Hachiroku

It's logic like that that made this country what it is today...

Reply to
Hachiroku

They told my friend that when he bought his new Camaro. He bought it three days after I bought my new Corolla. He traded the car after 3.5 years with all kinds of trouble. I kept my Corolla for 6 years and got a new Corolla. That was 22 years ago, and I still have the replacement, and it still runs, and it still doesn't burn any oil.

What does it take to convince you Three Stooges?

Reply to
Hachiroku

I don't read blather. The first paragraph was enough.

Reply to
Hachiroku