Plan on driving a new car on a 3000mile highway trip. Bad idea?

wrong. as you break through, shavings get pushed in. grease on top of that pushes them further, as well as any grit that's in the gun.

so you say. but the fact is, unless the boots are damaged, these things typically last 300k+, with no intervention.

  1. they clearly don't know what they're doing.
  2. contamination is a fact. deal with it. contamination causes early failure. if yours haven't yet, it's good engineering, and certainly not /because/ of this stupidity.
Reply to
jim beam

how do you /know/???? [rhetorical] you don't do analysis!

bottom line, color has nothing to do with it - the oil's filtered. any particle, and it's only soot that makes it black, that can get through the filter is too small to make any difference to lubrication. check how thick the hydrodynamic oil films are, then look at the filter's particle size pass-through.

500???? 3k miles is 4.5k early.
Reply to
jim beam

no shit.

Reply to
jim beam

what am i talking about? do you NEVER read? "analysis" is the name of the game.

spend a little money on knowing what you're talking about.

Reply to
jim beam

ignorance is nothing to proud of.

Reply to
jim beam

Sure they do. No tears in the boots on the BJs on my Supra, and they need to be replaced.

I sense you haven't really a clue...

I turst a factory trained service dep't more than the say of someone who changes his oil every 12,000 miles, whether it need it or not. Manual says

7,500. What's your excuse?

This is coming from someone who only does an oil change every 12,000 miles?!?!?

Reply to
Hachiroku

Toyota's recommendation is 5,000 miles.

Reply to
Hachiroku

We're talking about people who don't do frequent enough oil changes. Looks like you're in that club. These were the people that came into the Service Dep't with sludged engines. Why? They didn't follow the Manufacturer's recommendation. The manual for a Camry and a Sienna said 7,500. They didn't so it and got sludged engines. People who did

Spend a little money and change your friggin' oil!

Also, tell me where you are so I know not to buy a car from you.

Reply to
Hachiroku

You're absolutely correct! So start changing your oil at 7,500 like th MFG reccomends!

Reply to
Hachiroku

er, it's analysis that /determines/ the manufacturer's recommendation. once the analysis is done, they do the stats on covering the maximum reasonable user base, then set a change interval. a few may need to change it sooner. but the majority can last longer. if you do the analysis, you'll know just /how much/ longer.

Reply to
jim beam

er, one minute, it's all hail the grease nipple, and now, it's premature joint replacement. unrelated events obviously.

a-n-a-l-y-s-i-s.

a-n-a-l-y-s-i-s. you should get some. and for your oil.

Reply to
jim beam

It's still cheaper to change the oil.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Tell that to all the people that came in with sludged Toyota engines.

They didn't follow the MFG's reccomendation.

Some of the ones that did had minimal sludging, but most of them were using shit oil.

The ones that changed the oil every 3,000 miles had no sludge.

Reply to
Hachiroku

but i did the math for you. $37.50 is not more expensive than $60.00.

Reply to
jim beam

"Hachiroku ????" wrote

Dude..slow the hell down...seriously...do yourself a favor and do it now.

Drive the speed limit, please.

All it takes is one accident or someone coming into the road and your life will forever be changed.

Seriously...as a man, the coolest thing I can do as a driver is obey the speed limits, and I invite you to join me.

Its hard as hell to do, no doubt, especially with a goddamn Supra.

But seriously...listen to what I am saying and do everyone a favor.

This might also explain partly why you were in an accident....

I drive like I expect *EVERYONE* to f*ck up, and to do so right in front of me.

***THAT*** is how you are supposed to drive.

Okay...you're a grown man so I can't stop you, but I am asking you to do so, regardless....

I don't use dino, and I agree with the synth change like you do...maybe

5,000k if I can't get to it and all that.

Peace, Polfus

Reply to
Polfus

"jim beam" wrote

The Honda engineers don't suggest a filter change every oil change.

So why do you all of a sudden, given your blind following of their "guidelines"?

Or you're crazy as hell.

You have lost your damn mind because I never said that at all.

Awesome....good luck with that.

And now I wonder why you get so pissy with everyone when they question the oil change intervals recommended ( or actually not recommended by since its buried in the "maintenance Minder" ).

If you don't even follow the Honda guidelines, then you should shut your damn piehole the next time you feel the need to foam at the ass when someone (like me!) does it differently.

Read that again, rinse, and repeat over and over until you get it, son.

This should be interesting coming from you....carry on...

$2.50 in savings.

Wow...maybe I'll get a 2L Pepsi and a sandwich with all that money.

No...reality says that your scenario saves a whopping $5.00 over the course of 48K miles.

And doing so on a vehicle that can cost over $30,000 dollars, doing dino oil changes every 12k miles.

No, thats not exactly true...oil analysis is by no means a complete engine diagnostic tool.

If you think so, then knock yourself out.

Yeah....it is, actually.

Polfus

Reply to
Polfus

"Hachiroku ????" wrote

Well...that pretty much says it all.

Peace, Polfus

Reply to
Polfus

But my time is worth $35 an hour.

It's easier to change the oil than fart around. Write back when you start following Manufacturer's reccomendations...

Reply to
hachiroku

Gil comes limping into the parking lot in a 'vintage' Mustang, engine running hard but barely moving. Wanted to know what was wrong with her car.

After checking the battery, alternator, etc, we pulled the dipstick. Oil was well above the 'full' mark, and with a bright light we could see oil in the dipstick tube.

"When did you last change your oil?" "I don't remember, but I just had a quart put in yesterday."

Turns out, whenever she added gas to the tank, she also had them throw in a quart of oil. Don't know where she was going for gas, but if they weren't looking at the dipstick, I'd get my gas elsewhere...

Reply to
hachiroku

er, that makes the math worse, not better.

translation: because you don't know what you're doing, you /prefer/ to fart around.

manufacturers use a-n-a-l-y-s-i-s. you can too.

Reply to
jim beam