plastic-metal-lube

Searching around my abode for some light lubricant for a small DC motor I happened to spot a small unused aerosol can of Mobil 1. The motor itself isn't binding but the long metal shaft is. There's three speeds. At the lowest speed setting the shaft doesn't want to turn. The end of the shaft simply inserts into a mating plastic hole which is integral to the plastic housing. Mobil 1 or what would you suggest?

Reply to
mark digital©

If the shaft is binding in the plastic collar, a dab of automatic transmission fluid or silicone spray would be friendlier to the plastic than motor oil or petroleum-based oil. You can also try removing the shaft from the plastic and using a fine steel wool or 1000 grit sandpaper on the metal shaft and cleaning the shaft thoroughly before re-installing it in the hole.

If the motor binds even when it is not in the plastic hole, check the condition of the motor brushes and springs or try WD-40 on the motor itself, avoiding getting it on the plastic.

Reply to
Ray O

Will do. Thanks. The shaft is a elongated squirrel cage type blower which will normally turn effortlessly with a simple brush of my finger. Low speed consumes about 25 watts AC all told between motor and circuitry. I wanted to avoid taking the whole unit apart but if a drop of transmission fluid will do the trick I don't mind.

Reply to
mark digital©

ATF is friendly to plastic and rubber. Use an old-fashioned oil can or a syringe or eye dropper to apply the ATF.

Good luck!

Reply to
Ray O