Platinum or Iridium Spark Plug? Single or dual electrodes?

I have a 96 corolla and I am wondering should i should stick with platinum spark plugs or pay 4 bucks more a piece for iridium spark plugs? Also would it make a difference if i get a single electrode or dual electrode spark plug?

Reply to
msrdude

Just get what Toyota recommends.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Only one electrode fires on each combustion stroke, contrary to what may be indicated by any advertisement animation.

Consumer Reports said, in their June, 1999 issue, that Bosch Plus 4 quad electrode plugs didn't show any significant improvement in power or fuel economy, compared to NGK plugs, when tested in a 1993 Honda Accord with 123, 000 miles.

Motor Trend, May, 1995, said AC Rapidfire plugs with splined center electrodes (supposed to improve the odds of firing, just like multiple ground electrodes) gave a statistically insignificant improvement:

I can't find anything credible providng that certain spark plugs are superior to the ones recommended in the owner's manual for vehicles made in the past ~20+ years. Apparently removing lead from gasoline was the biggest improvement, followed by going to platinum, the latter more for longevity than spark quality, and NGK had recommended that vehicles with conventional plugs from the factory keep using them, unless the manufacturer changed recommendations or if access to the plugs was difficult.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly