Please help! 97 Avalon radio security code...

Hello all,

I recently bought a 97 Avalon XLS from the original owner. It's got only

34,000 miles on it and I'm really happy with it so far. I plan to drive this car for many years.

Only problem is that the battery died on her a few years ago, and she didn't know the security code for the radio, so she went to P.C. Richard and got an aftermarket Pioneer installed. Thankfully, she gave me the original radio with the car and I've just popped it back in.

Now it displays "HELP" which apparently means I don't get 10 chances to guess the unlock code. The local dealership wants $89 to reset the radio. Is there anyone here who can save me this expense and hassle? I have the radio's serial number and of course the VIN number of the car.

Qslim? Rick Jones? Anyone?

- Craig

Reply to
Wise Old Craig

For obvious reasons, no responsible technician will post instructions to get past the security code. Shop around different dealerships and see if you can get someone to do it for less money.

Reply to
Ray O

If you make friends with the local dealership service writers and technicians, and you are having other service work done regularly at the dealership and show interest in coming back as needed (HINT!!) you can probably get it unlocked a lot cheaper - try a Fifth, six-pack or a 'Suitcase' 12-pack of the technician's favorite beverage of choice (ask first) that will mystically 'disappear' from the back seat when the deed has been done.

I'm guessing it's not too difficult or time consuming, but the exact process is deliberately not revealed to the public.

And when it's unlocked, make sure to set a new code in the radio that you know, to keep the kiddies from accidentally (or prankster "friends" from deliberately) setting a code that nobody knows and locking it up for you... (I.E.: Do you really want to go through this again?)

The Last 4 digits of the VIN is always good as a low-security default, or the last 4 digits backwards...

The whole idea of a Secret Unlock Procedure is to make a stolen radio worthless, so they have to have some controls on the procedure to unlock them. It IS for your own protection, even if it doesn't seem fair.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman