Possible to buy used Matrix/Vibe for $8k?

I'm gonna sell my 2000 Mazda Protege to my nephew in college for abt $6k

he needs a decent car bad and my Protege is a great car but always wished Id gotten a hatchback style for better cargo hauling. Cant haul NOTHING in the Protege.

Having said that.... what can I expect to pay for decent use Matrix/Vibe say in 2002 range?

Is that even possible at $8k?

If not...what range should I be thinking on money wise?

Id like to not have anything older than 5 years if possible

Reply to
me

The /Matrix/Vibe wasn't introduced until the 2003 model year.

Here in Florida a fair condition, 50K mile 4DR FWD Vibe (the base models, not the GT or 4WD versions) would go for about 9K from a private party. Mabye $500 more for the Matrix.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Search nadaguides.com for the current pricing, WBMA The Vibe sells for thousands less new, when similarly equipped, than the Matrix so you can assume it will cost somewhat less used as well

I find it odd you could carry nothing in you Mazda. How much room do you need to carry 'nothing?' One would think carrying 'anything' would be the problem.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I probably got ripped off but, I had bad credit and it was my first car buying experience. I hope it's the last for a while. I got a 2002 Toyota Corolla w/ 61,000 miles for 10k. :( I probably got screwed as I see them new for like $13,000. Ah well, live and learn... and that I did.

Good luck on your venture and if you have a Lithia, stay away from them!

Reply to
mrsteveo

So much for Toyotas claim of better resale value. Considering it cost thousands of dollars more to drive home a similarly equipped Matrix, when both were new, the Vibe has a better return on its original investment.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Really? My research says the base model prices were actually higher on the Vibe as well as the top-end pricing.

2003 Vibe: MSRP: $16,485-19,785 2003 Matrix MSRP: $14,670-19,330
Reply to
Travis Jordan

Another reference:

Toyota worked with GM to develop this product and the Pontiac Vibe is similar. Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix have identical interiors but different exterior designs. Pontiac Vibes are more costly than the equivalent Toyota Matrix models.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Well 9k isn't totally out of my range

Any other used hatchback models to consider in that price range tho?

I'm definitely not wanting to buy new tho.

Reply to
me

is it a good vehicle over all?

Reply to
me

We're so glad "mike hunt" took time out from his busy day to be wrong.

?action=1 The fact of the matter is, the Toyota's about a thousand bucks cheaper, cash price after incentives, to drive home.

Mike, the facts on Toyota/GM pricing have been pointed out to you many times. Are you just plain stupid or do you have an agenda but no scruples?

***
Reply to
DH

The 2002 Mazda Protege 5 (a station wagon) is in that same price range.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Actually it is you who has the wrong opinion of what it cost to drive home a vehicle and it is NEVER the selling price Nobody drives home a car for the selling price. It has been pointed out to you many times Pontiac dealers in general add fewer smoke an mirrors options to their cars and generally offer more for ones trade than do Toyota dealers. In addition GM interest rates are generally lower than Toyotas rates. All of those things add to the selling price. That is a reason the Vibe outsells the Matrix by big numbers As has been point out to you many times as well, you should go out the real world and discover what it actually cost to buy various vehicles. Go to a Toyota dealer and a Pontiac dealer and get the total drive home price and see for yourself and learn something for a change

In any event he is, looking at used vehicle and the poster point out the Matrix cost more used.

Reply to
Mike Hunter

That may be but I was not referring to MSRP but rather the real world total drive home price of similarly equipped vehicles.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Usually the final transaction (sales) price of a new car is lower than the MSRP. Except perhaps for new models or for models in very high demand where the dealer (attempts) to include additional dealer markup.

The price of the trade has nothing to do with the sales price of the car itself. I don't have any data to prove or disprove the concept of 'smoke and mirror' options. Personally, I never buy them.

Interest rates have nothing to do with the sales price of the car itself.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

I'm talking my used price range of 8-9k

Reply to
me

Edmunds says you're wrong. By about a grand. Go offer your expertise to Edmunds, they've got a lot riding on the accuracy of their site. I'm sure they'll be delighted to hear from you.

Anybody who gets taken in by "smoke and mirrors" at a Toyota dealer is going to get taken in by "smoke and mirrors" at a Pontiac dealer. I haven't been to a Pontiac dealer in ages but all the cars I looked at on the local Chevy lot have hand-written entries on a secondary price sheet. Anybody who doesn't know the true value of his trade at a Toyota dealer won't know the true value of his trade at a Pontiac dealer.

Then why did you bring up the "when both were new" aspect of the discussion? Just couldn't pass up an opportunity to be wrong?

***
Reply to
DH

Why not? You could consider a hatch or wagon Hyundai or Kia. New, they're fairly inexpensive and I believe they carry a long warranty.

Of course, you could also consider a used one. Make sure the warranty remains in force.

***
Reply to
DH

I just didn't think I could buy new for any less than say 15k right now

And I really don't have that much money this year. Other expenses coming up...college tuition, etc

Are you saying that its perfectly feasible to buy a GOOD hatchback vehicle brand new for say 10k?

Reply to
me

Which models?

Reply to