Possible to buy used Matrix/Vibe for $8k?

The biggest challenge to purchasing a new Suzuki is a limited dealer service network.

The OP could consider a Scion xA - low price, hatchback, Toyota dealer network, and Toyota quality.

Reply to
Ray O

Local newspaper had a Ford dealer advertising new 2006 Focus ZX3 hatchback base model cars for $9988 (5 at this price).

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee

There is also the Yaris hatchback.

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee

wow

not a bad deal huh!

Reply to
me

agree

Reply to
me

A Focus at any price is a bad deal.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

The Chevy Aveo was advertised in the paper over the weekend for $9K or so. It's some sort of hatchback, built by Daewoo of South Korea.

I would not necessarily recommend the Aveo. However, if I were you, I'd consider what else is available new. The Kia and/or Hyundais offer low prices and impressive warranties. You could consider a loan over a longer period of time, if the car is backed by a solid warranty. If you're cash-strapped and expect to be so for a while, I'd prefer not to face unexpected expenses. A good warranty might help you there. You can probably expect a Kia or Hyundai to still hold some value 6 years from now. If you have $8-9K in cash for a car, now, consider putting $4K down and financing the rest over a few years. This would be low payments, which you could meet out of your cash reserve, if necessary, for a couple of years. You might get low-interest financing from the manufacturer.

You could also consider the new Toyota Yaris. It starts at $12K or so. Again, you might need a loan, but at the end of a few years, chances are good that the car will be worth something and still reliable. Also consider the Scions (a little more) and the Honda Fit (even more).

Is a new car right for you? I don't know. However, if you're thinking of $8-9K, for a little more money, you have a variety of new-car choices. Buying used, you could be buying trouble. A new car comes with some protection that a used car does not have. Can you get credit? That will be an important question. A car loan could also help establish credit.

Watch out for interest rates, hidden fees, etc. Be prepared to walk at any time, if there's fees or dollars on the deal you didn't expect. Check with BBB before going to a dealer.

***
Reply to
dh