power steering leak, how to find what part is leaking?

I'm losing about 6 oz of power steering fluid every 2 days from my 97 camry. Generally, at work and home where my car sits the longest, there is usually a noticable puddle. One mechanic has said that the leak is from the power sterring rack and pinion. will mechanics replace this or repair it? How do I find out exactly where the leak is coming from? is it possible that a there is a bad hose between the PS fluid container and other parts? does any recommendations on how to better diagnose this since the fix is very expensive?

-Thanks

Reply to
dpatwa

It is possible to repair the steering rack and pinion assembly, however, you need special tools and a very clean environment, and the success rate of field repairs is not very high so most shops replace the rack rather than make a low percentage attempt at repair.

You can find exactly where the leak is coming from by cleaning up the leaks and watching where the power steering fluid is coming from. If you place a piece of cardboard under the ends of the power steering rack, you can see if it becomes stained from leaks. The most common places for racks to leak is at the ends.

It is possible for a hose, hose connection, or power steering pump to leak but the rack ends are the most common location for power steering fluid leaks.

As I mentioned, the best way to diagnose the leak is to clean up all of the previous leaks and see where the fluid is coming from.

You can ask the shop working on your car if they can find an aftermarket rack or a factory remanufactured rack.

Reply to
Ray O