Power steering sound from corolla AE101

Recently my corolla AE101 gives out a sound whenever the steering wheel is being steered. It gives out a sound as if the pump is working very hard and this happens normally in the morning but after a while when it has warmed up the sound "disappears" I've checked the fluid levels it seems ok and the belt tension is not loose. Is it a sign that the pump is going to fail? What happens if it fails, can the car still be driven?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Richard

Reply to
chuacc

Sounds are very difficult, if not impossible, to diagnose without hearing them first hand. If the sound is a squealing sound, then it is probably from a loose or glazed belt or a belt that does not fit properly. If the sound is like water running through a pipe, then it may be a bypass valve opening due to high pressure. If the sound is a growling, grating sound, the pump may be failing.

The car can theoretically still be driven without the power steering pump, but it will take so much effort that the car will be difficult to control.

Reply to
Ray O

Out of idle curiosity... would it be more difficult to steer than cars were before power steering was so prevalent? Or would it just seem so difficult because we're now so used to power steering?

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

A vehicle with a non-operational power steering pump would be more difficult to steer than when power steering became prevalent, or even the same model without power steering. This is because the steering ratios for cars with power steering are usually different. For example, a car with power steering usually require between 3 and 4 full rotations of the steering wheel from lock to lock (full left to right, and vice versa). A car without power steering may have between 4 and 5 turns lock to lock to reduce steering effort.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks - that satisfies that bit of wondering... ;-)

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

Any time!

Reply to
Ray O

yeh it is growling like "angry bear" guess I need to get it replaced before the bear turns mute and I have a hard time bringing it to the workshop.

Thanks Ray

Reply to
Richard

I may have a similar problem with my 2001 Prizm. My driveway is narrow-especially with all the snow. I usually drive up to the house and then turn the car around which requires turning the wheels while not moving. I have noticed a chattering sound when doing this possibly caused by several inches of snow. Is this normal?

---MIKE---

Reply to
---MIKE---

You're welcome!