Previa middle seats

I understand that Previas with bucket seats in the middle row have the split fold-up/out rear bench seat, while Previas that have a middle bench seat have a non-split rear bench seat. (Is that correct?)

If I get a Previa with bucket seats in the middle row, would it work to get a middle-row bench seat from a wrecking yard (used car parts), remove the middle-row bucket seats, and swap in the middle-row bench? In other words, do the two types have the same floor connections? Or do they have different floor connections that each only works with their own type of seat?

I like the rear split fold-up/out bench seat for the floor space, but with two small children in child-restraint seats, a bench in the middle works better than buckets because they can keep toys, etc. between them on the bench. We could put them in the rear bench, but then they're harder to monitor, and cargo space would be split between rear and middle.

By the way, can the middle-row bucket seats be easily removed when the space is needed for cargo?

Thanks,

Greg

Reply to
Greg Lovern

It depends on the market and model year. Previas sold in the U.S. all had a split 3rd row seat.

The Previas have different mounting floor and seat belt mounting hardware, depending on whether it came with bucket or bench seats. The seat types are not easily interchangeable.

The middle row bucket seats need to be unbolted to remove them so they are not nearly as easy to remove as the bench seats, which use a latch system.

Reply to
Ray O

Boy, now I can't remember...

I know if you cut a hole in the carpet on *SOME* van, you can switch from one type to another...

I just can't remember if it was the Previa, the Sienna, or the Chrysler minis...

Reply to
Hachiroku

I agree with Ray...

My '92 LE has the split 3rd row and the middle is the removable bench seat.

Reply to
: P

I had about a dozen Previas from 1990 ~ 1993, and they all had the split 3rd row, regardless of whether they had captains charis or a bench seat in the middle.

Reply to
Ray O