previa speedometer

.

..

How can you have a VSS behind the instrument cluster? Doesn't it need something turning to work, like a drive shaft? You can, in theory, determine the speed of the vehicle from motions sensors (like the sensors that make a Wii work or even the motions sensors on my iPhone), but, to my knowledge, none are used in cars to determine vehicle speed.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

.

m...

BTW, I am not trying to be argumentative. I am just curious how you can have a VSS behind the instrument cluster.

Perhaps there is some electronics back there that is involved in measuring the vehicle speed, but not the actual speed sensor.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Wouldn't there be a separate diagnostic code for Transmission Speed Sensor? The parts store pulled up both for this vehicle (TSS and VSS) but the OBD clearly said VSS. I dont want to read too much into that fact though.

********* Yes, there is a separate diagnostic trouble code for the transmission output speed sensor. The '95 Previa was not 100% OBD compliant so I'm making some educated guesses based on the info in the '93 Previa Factory Repair Manual. The '93 Previa was not OBD II and some of the nomenclature may be different.

In a '93 Previa, the Vehicle Speed Sensor for the speedometer and CC are behind the speedometer, which is why I'm trying to steer you there first.

Reply to
Ray O

BTW, I am not trying to be argumentative. I am just curious how you can have a VSS behind the instrument cluster.

Perhaps there is some electronics back there that is involved in measuring the vehicle speed, but not the actual speed sensor.

Jeff

*************** I'm working off of a factory repair manual for a '93 Previa, which is not OBD II compliant, but knowing how Toyota works, there probably isn't much of a difference between a '93 and '95.

In a '93, there is an old-fashioned speedometer cable running from the transmission to the instrument cluster, but instead of turning a magnetically driven speedometer head, the cable is turning the vehicle speed sensor, which in turn sends a signal to the electronic speedometer. This strikes me as an unnecessarily complex setup since the transmission output is roughly at the middle row of seats, making for a long cable run to the speedometer head. It seems like it would have been easier to mount the speed sensor directly on the transmission and just use wiring to send the signal to the speedo as in the case of most other electronic speedometers.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks. That makes a lot more sense.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Thanks. That makes a lot more sense.

Jeff

************ You're welcome!
Reply to
Ray O

.

m...

After talking to Toyota, I decided to bite the bullet. Their tech convinced me (sort of) that it was better to waste a 100 bucks on their diagnosis fee to rule out other issues like wiring and other parts of (in his words, the needlessy complex speed sensing system) that could give that code. I have to drive x-country next week and wanted my cruise control back. Anyway, after a 100 diagnosis guess what it was? The VSS! Surprise surprise, huh.... But they didnt charge me anything for labor to install it, which I think was about 4 1/2 minutes.

For the record, I hate my 95 Previa compared to my old (dead) 91...it has been nothing but very expensive trouble.

Reply to
Joe

After talking to Toyota, I decided to bite the bullet. Their tech convinced me (sort of) that it was better to waste a 100 bucks on their diagnosis fee to rule out other issues like wiring and other parts of (in his words, the needlessy complex speed sensing system) that could give that code. I have to drive x-country next week and wanted my cruise control back. Anyway, after a 100 diagnosis guess what it was? The VSS! Surprise surprise, huh.... But they didnt charge me anything for labor to install it, which I think was about 4 1/2 minutes.

For the record, I hate my 95 Previa compared to my old (dead) 91...it has been nothing but very expensive trouble.

******* I bet the '91 was RWD and the '95 is AWD.
Reply to
Ray O