Prius and Insight question

Hi.

We have a number of Prius and Insights in the parking lot at work. Being that this is Vermont, which is like Northampton but Not Gay, this is not surprising.

There is an area of the parking lot near the smoking area for parking "Alternative Fuel Vehicles" where they all park (interesting, I thought they STILL run on Gasoline as the primary source of power...)

At any rate, there were four of them the other day; the two Prius parked next to two Insights, and then I noticed the Pop Out.

On ALL the hybrid cars, in the exact same spot on the front bumper (below and to the left of the Driver's side headlight) there is what looks to be a pop-out cover in the bumper cover. What comes to my mind is that there is some kind of safety device located behind this cover, or perhaps a plug, or...???

Being that these are two different makes of pretty much the same car (Yeah, I know the differences, let's not get into that...), it occurred to me that this is something mandated by the Japanese Government?

Any ideas (or actual KNOWLEDGE is even better, of course) I swear I won't post anymore "Rules Of Thumb"...

Reply to
hachiroku

pop-out it's where a cover can be removed to insert a threaded gizmo to tow the car with. the echo has the same thing as well as many other brands of car. the gizmo is stashed with the spare tire and jack.

otherwise there is nothing hard enough to hook to on the front end of the car. 'controlled crumple' is the term for the soft front ends. that way, while the car is destroying itself, you are being somewhat protected from many Gs of deceleration.

another note: the prius uses the identical engine as the echo. i have one. if you'd like a picture of the gizmo, i could send one.

sammmm

Reply to
SAMMM

That is the hook-up point for the salvage truck, when the $5,000 battery pack needs to be replaced, I guess. ')

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Yeah, I used to work at a Toy dealer, but never paid enough attention (too freaking busy!) I also had a Tercel, which used the same engine as the Prius/Echo. Yeah, if you can send a picture, I'd like to see it.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Usually I'd blast you for such a flip remark, but this time it's funny!

Reply to
Hachiroku

As others have said, it's the cover for the screw-in point for the towing eye. My guess is, they cover the hole because they do not expect it to be needed often, so try to (a) stop dirt getting in and blocking the hole (on a dark and stormy night, to be sure

-- have you noticed how every car has a device which detects when it will be a major b*gger to have a breakdown?) and (b) keep the front looking neat.

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

I believe it's a cover for the towing thingie (doncha love those technical terms ;^) -- at least, that's what's behind the leetle cover on the bumper of my Scion . . . .

-D (no rules of thumb from me either)

Reply to
Don Fearn

Why, I believe you're right.

Um, you have a Scion? Please say it's an xA.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Anyone know where that phrase comes from?...

Reply to
Gord Beaman

According to wikipedia.org:

Ray O

Well, 'sure'...go look it up!... :),

*I*, on the other hand, 'knew' the answer!...mentioned it ONCE to my wife (years ago)...I still remember the snarl (and the "Bring it on Mac") :)
Reply to
Gord Beaman

OK; "It's an xA."

But that was a lie. It's an xB.

And it's the BEST commuter car I've ever owned in every way.

Its only drawback is . . .

. . .

. . . I can't think of any.

And before you make any snide remarks, it is NOT ugly; it's HOMELY. There is a difference.

-D

Reply to
Don Fearn

Everybody laughs at you as you drive by? ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Sure; complete with giggling and pointing.

And that's a problem . . . WHY?

-Don (any attention is GOOD attention ;^)

Reply to
Don Fearn

A local taxi company has invested in a fleet of xB's. Their radio ads say that since the majority of the taxis only pick up one passenger, they are being more responsible by using a lot less fuel, and passengers get about the same legroom as the mid size cars they were using before.

Reply to
Ray O

I read somewhere that in response to the Best Buy Geek Squad, whose members drive around in Beetles, Circuit City is getting a fleet of xBs for their service folk to drive around in.

-Don (makes sense to me)

Reply to
Don Fearn

Look at this way, you get to laugh at the drivers of the Element and the Aztex and there are a lot more of them at which to laugh. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

IMO, the Geek Squad beetle fleet is a clever marketing idea. I don't know if the xB has the same cutsey factor as a Beetle, it will be interesting to find out long term results.

Reply to
Ray O

Uhhh . . . not really. I think the Element is more of a kindred vehicle to my xB. As for the Aztec, I mostly look at them with pity. A pretty nice vehicle, I've heard, but saddled with looks that even its mother couldn't love. Not homely, not ugly, just . . . sad looking.

The only vehicle I laugh at is the Humbler H2 -- especially when I parked next to one the same color as my xB at a home improvement store. I wish it had still been there when I came out so I could have warned them, "THIS could happen to your H2 . . . if you're not careful at the car wash! Look at mine; it SHRUNK!"

-Don

Reply to
Don Fearn

Well, thank God it's not a tC, I'd be jealous then!

It's a Tercel in a Box?

I once saw a line of 6 Aztecs. I had a migraine for a week.

The xB is actually kind of cool; I play in a band and was considering one to haul gear around in.

Reply to
Hachiroku