Prius: body side-molding for dent-prevention?

Our Prius is a week old, and so far its naked side panels are still undented. With no protective moldings, though, it's only a matter of time until the doors resemble the surface of the moon.

Toyota offers no such moldings for the Prius. A Parts Dept staffer tells me that such moldings impose a signifcant weight and airflow penalty. Yes?

A local trim shop offers install a 1/2" high by 1/2" thick black rubber molding from wheel-well to wheel-well at the widest part of the car (about 5" above the body crease). The suggested molding has a trapezoidal cross-section and seems to be reasonably attractive on the silver panels. The shop uses an adhesive for which it claims a 5-year life expectancy. The price installed is $114.

I would welcome comments on the pluses and minuses.

BTW, we drove several hundred miles in this first week, including a lengthy Interstate trip. The car is a joy to drive, and its capacity is amazing for its LOA.

Brent "Fanaticism consists in redoubling your effort when you have forgotten your aim." -- George Santayana

Reply to
Brent

Park your Prius away from everyone else and don't be afraid to walk.

Reply to
Doug

Here:

7&SortIndex They have mud guards too.

B~

Reply to
B. Peg

Thank you. I'll check it out. It looks promising.

Doug's and Scott's suggestion that the car be parked in remote areas would work for some drivers in some situations. Our complication is that my wife has Parkinson's.

Brent

Reply to
Brent

Bull. One pound, two at the outside if you get the big garish one - it's just molded vinyl.

And the effect on air resistance is another load of bovine excrement. It might be measurable in a very sensitive wind tunnel, but not in real life. If it affected it more than .001 MPG I'd be amazed.

Amazed they could actually measure it, that is. ;-)

But the car is meant to be a fuel mileage champ, so they avoid adding anything at all that would contribute weight or drag. That's also why I'd suggest to trim down your 'trunk stuff' (and glovebox stuff) down to the essentials.

Check around, they have many different shapes of molding in other colors than black, some with metallized Mylar 'chrome' edges. You can get a white or silver that is close enough to blend in, or a complimentary color for a little zip.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

I'm inclined to agree.

Thanks for your input, Bruce. It helps.

Brent

Reply to
Brent

"" wrote: > Our Prius is a week old, and so far its naked side panels are > still > undented. With no protective moldings, though, it's only a > matter of > time until the doors resemble the surface of the moon. > > Toyota offers no such moldings for the Prius. A Parts Dept > staffer > tells me that such moldings impose a signifcant weight and > airflow > penalty. Yes? > > A local trim shop offers install a 1/2" high by 1/2" thick > black rubber > molding from wheel-well to wheel-well at the widest part of > the car > (about 5" above the body crease). The suggested molding has a > trapezoidal cross-section and seems to be reasonably > attractive on the > silver panels. The shop uses an adhesive for which it claims a > 5-year > life expectancy. The price installed is $114. > > I would welcome comments on the pluses and minuses. > > BTW, we drove several hundred miles in this first week, > including a > lengthy Interstate trip. The car is a joy to drive, and its > capacity is > amazing for its LOA. > > Brent > "Fanaticism consists in redoubling your effort > when you have forgotten your aim." > -- George Santayana

A good side strip wont "impose a signifcant weight and airflow penalty" they could be a solid steel 2x2 and you still wouldnt notice any difference. there is no good way to protect your car from dings, but a good strip might add a few months.

Reply to
xmirage2kx