Prius fails Gerogia emissions test....

Natural production + unnatural production = too much. Pretty simple math Mike. Here, let's try this. Your car can run on 10% ethanol. So why dont you go ahead and pump some e85 in it and see if it works? Then we will all call you a nut when your car breaks down.

What is the difference between CO oxide and monoxide? Is it not a

Reply to
Go Mavs

That may be you opinion but that is not the real world. If someone says it rained last night do you expect them to prove it rained? If you have a problem with what you read, find your own source. I certainly do not intend to fill my laptop with the bookmarks for every site I ever visited, or record everything I have ever read or learned in 81 years. You obviously have a data base as a teacher, use it. I get paid handsomely when I teach a class in the auto industry, or at my University. Most likely as much as you earn in a year teaching in Harlem and my data base is my life's experiences in all three sides of the business and as a test car and race car driver ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Actually the CO2 in the oceans is not desolved, it is in the form of ice on and under the ocean floor. Do a search, WBMA ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Yes, it does go into the atmosphere. As another member of this group kindly observed, most of the CO2 ends up in the ocean. Some of it also gets sequestered under the ocean. In addition, changes in plant life, like clearing of the forests and planting crops. So it is really hard to track hwo the exact changes in production of CO2 lead to changes in the atmospheric carbon dioxide.

Once the carbon dioxide is released from combustion (from the wood in your fireplace, your car, a power plant or forest fire in Canada), it goes into the atmosphere. From the atmosphere, plants absorb it directly, to convert it and water into sugar through photosynthesis, some dissolves into the ocean and some stays in the atmosphere.

Carbon dioxide is more completely oxidized than carbon dioxide. They're different molecules with different properties. In the atmosphere, carbon monoxide is oxidized to carbon dioxide.

Both are deadly, but not in the concentrations to which humans are normally exposed.

And both carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide are made by humans (carbon monoxide is breakdown product of hemoglobin in red blood cells).

The thing is that the CO2 is recycled back into the forest at a later daten when the forest regrows. When forests are cleared for farming, the CO2 is not recycled. The burning of forests are major contributors to green-house gases when the forest does regrow.

Al Gore's plane when he visits the state? ;-)

I'd guess electricity generation or transportation.

I'd be interested as well.

Reply to
Jeff

The problem is that it takes almost as much energy to make the ethanol as the gasoline it replaces.

In the US, it is about breakeven (except for ADM, the make of the corn seeds) for ethanol production to save energy.

In Brasil, they use a different source of fuel (sugar cane, I think), so in Brasil, using ethanol actually saves energy.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

There is a form of CO2 that is ice on the bottom of the oceans.

However, it is not known how much CO2 is in the CO2 hydrates (the chemical group of CO2).

I don't know how much is under the ocean floor.

The CO2 hydrates are not dissolved, but much of the CO2 in the ocean is dissolved. But it takes centuries for the CO2 to dissolve, because water at the bottom of the ocean doesn't quickly circulate to the top or mix with the water on the top of the ocean. The CO2 dissolves in the ocean, just like it does in my Diet Pepsi. However, the concentration is not usually so high that it bubbles out, like my Diet Pepsi.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

NAME ONE.

Reply to
Art

The stupid top-poster "Mike Hunt" is a troll, and bald-faced liar, and, really, a worthless POS. I'd ignore his gibberish, if I were you.

Reply to
dizzy

I do wish Mike would stop top-posting, but I think Mike is a smart man. My take is that he has knee jerk reactions to a lot of things.

He asked some good questions today.

I give him the benefit of the doubt.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Correct. The test center failed on this one. Why was this even a new item? Of course to be against Toyota.

Here there is a separate testing lane for hybrids, AWDs and traction control vehicles. Also our two levels of Gov give a significant rebate for hybrid vehicle purchase of about 65% of the hybrid cost difference.

Reply to
Concerned recycler

Really? Why would they be against Toyota?

Could it be that the regulations were written without regard to hybrids because it never occurred to the engineers that this would be an issue for Hybrids?

Good.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Actually, it was meant as a slap to the Hollywood and Granola types that think driving one of these cars actually makes a Rat's Ass of a difference. (They don't, really...the gas engine runs when the heat is on or the AC is on. In the NE, that's 80% of the time. In California it's about the same...)

Reply to
Hachiroku

Hybrids still run more efficiently when the engine is left on that cars without a hybrid system.

How often heat and A/C are also depends on where one lives. There are parts of CA where they don't need it that much. They can comfortably live without the A/C and for maybe 6 to 8 months a year. In addition, I imagine one could turn off the heat and A/C, for a few minutes until he gets to the highway, where the engine has to run anyway.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Not entirely true.

Cold weather areas do have some small PTC electric heaters that do provide some heat, however yes most heat is provided by "waste" heat off of the gasoline engine. The engine will cycle on more often just to warm itself and the passengers up during cold winter months. But as for how often (you claim 80% of the time), that would depend on what portion of your trip you're talking about (first 5-15min the engine will be running to warm itself and other emissions components up to proper operating temperatures), and if the engine would be on anyways during your trip (like at speeds over 42mph)...

On the 2001-2003 NHW11 Prius, the AC compressor was belt-driven off of the gasoline engine, so for the compressor to run the gasoline engine would have to come on. The gasoline engine would have to cycle on to provide more cooling. (As long as you didn't have the MAX AC button pressed, the fan would continue to blow air, but the AC compressor would cycle on and off as needed, so the engine doesn't have to be on constantly.)

On the 2004-current NHW20 Prius, the AC compressor is powered by the hybrid traction battery. So, the AC compressor can run without the aide of the gasoline engine. However, when the hybrid traction battery's state of charge gets too low, the gasoline engine will come back on to recharge it... So you still have the gasoline engine coming on more often on occasion, but not to directly power the AC in the warm summer months.

The Prius is primarily a low-emissions vehicle, that as a nice side benefit gets very good fuel economy too...

Reply to
mrv

Some time in the 1990s, some new cars failed the AZ test because the cars would go into open loop mode if idled for more than a few minutes in a row. Ironically people idled their cars while waiting for the test to improve their chances of passing the test. The solution was to turn off the ignition just before starting the test.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Nah, in the 1990's the reason a lot of cars failed was....

Because of the equipment they were using. Remember those Blue Boxes...? ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku

"Concerned recycler" Also our two levels of Gov give a significant rebate for hybrid vehicle

... unless you are subject to the AMT, in which case the rebate vaporizes. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

"Jeff" ..

On the newer Priuses, the AC does not run off of the gas engine, it runs off of the battery system. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Once someone proves to me that they are a bald-faced liar and asshole, like "Mike" has done, they get no more respect, "smart" or not.

Reply to
dizzy

Thanks to Tomes and everyone else who informed me (us) there was a change!

Reply to
Hachiroku