Prius gets 100 MPG

Lab drives car to 100 mpg NREL makes tailpipe dream a reality with battery-boosted Prius By Gargi Chakrabarty, Rocky Mountain News (Contact) Originally published 09:06 p.m., June 9, 2008 Updated 12:29 p.m., June 10, 2008 Tony Markel, senior engineer at the National Renewable Energy Laboratory in Golden, shows off a Prius powered by batteries, solar energy and a sip of gas.

Photo by Preston Gannaway

Tony Markel, senior engineer at the National Renewable Energy Laboratory in Golden, shows off a Prius powered by batteries, solar energy and a sip of gas. Solar cells cover the car's roof.

Preston Gannaway / The Rocky

Solar cells cover the car's roof. Related Links

  • PRICE CHECK: Find the cheapest gas in Denver area * RESEARCH: Plug-in hybrid electric vehicles gain ground * ECONOMY: Oil prices cause oozing ripple effect * POLL: Are rising fuel prices affecting the quality of your life? * THE LATEST: Dollar strength halts oil advance * CHAT: Engineer Tony Markel talks about the 100 mpg car at 11 a.m.

More Energy

  • Oil headed to 0, mogul says * State's solar industry heats up * Chamber to oppose killing energy credit

Story Tools

  • Email this * Print this * Comments * Change text size * Subscribe to print edition * iPod friendly * Share this site
  • Del.icio.us * digg * newsvine * facebook * reddit

If a car that gets 100 miles per gallon of gasoline sounds like a driver's futile fantasy, think again.

Scientists at the National Renewable Energy Laboratory in Golden are testing a spruced-up Toyota Prius, a plug-in hybrid sedan complete with a solar panel attached to its oval roof and a bigger battery in the trunk to supply power in lieu of the gasoline-fueled engine.

The result: A spunky Prius that runs the initial 60 miles mostly on battery, adding up to a fuel mileage of 100 miles per gallon.

"The stored power in the battery does a great job of displacing petroleum," said Tony Markel, a senior engineer at NREL who has been working on the 2006 model Prius for the past two years. "For most people, their daily commute is about 30 miles, so this car would run virtually on battery and only need to be recharged at night."

Displacing petroleum is a desirable virtue today, as the nation battles global warming and skyrocketing fuel prices.

On Monday, Colorado's average price for regular, unleaded gasoline hit a record high at $3.943 a gallon, nearly 70 cents higher than the $3.258 a year earlier.

But the spruced-up Prius doesn't come cheap.

The lithium-ion battery, which can be recharged using a standard electrical outlet at home or even at the workplace, has a price tag of $40,000. And the solar panel on the roof cost $2,500.

All told, the car adds up to almost $70,000 - but as NREL says, it's only a unique research model at this point.

And if the car runs at more than 35 miles per hour, the gas engine comes to life to supply more power and consumption goes up.

Detroit automakers are interested in NREL's research, Markel said, adding that the goal is to bring down cost. Xcel Energy, Colorado's biggest utility, also is keen about vehicle-to-grid technology, which would have car batteries supply excess electricity during hours of peak demand.

Although NREL has yet to determine the experimental Prius' payoff time, it could improve with biofuels such as ethanol or biodiesel.

NREL says that light, plug-in hybrid vehicles could cut in half the demand for fuel, making it practical to use E-85 - a blend of 85 percent ethanol and 15 percent gasoline. Also, the fuel cost savings could amount to more than $500 per vehicle a year.

"I think high energy prices are here to stay, and to go even higher," said Bryant Gimlin, energy risk manager of Gray Oil & Gas, a diesel and gasoline wholesaler. "It will not only encourage new technologies such as plug-in hybrids but make them more price effective."

"But it will take a number of years to do that and make a serious dent on oil consumption," Gimlin added.

snipped-for-privacy@RockyMountainNews.com or 303-954-2976

Reply to
Sarah Houston

Bigger batteries, and better mileage for the first 60 miles?

Sounds to me like they charge the batteries off the power grid and then claim 100 mpg. *IF* that is what they are doing, this is as crooked as Al Gore. But, just as with Al Gore, the typical consumer won't be able to discern the truth and will think there's a car the gets 100 mpg and not take into account that that's only if you ignore the cost of energy being pulled off the power grid for initial no-gasoline running.

Bill Putney

Cherry pick your data points and you can make the same car get less than 10 mpg. Or my car get over 60 mpg. The prove would be if it could get 100 mpg over a 100 mile trip with speeds averaging at least

45 mph.

Jack

Reply to
Retired VIP

If there was a 100 mile hill my Camry could pull off that one. I would have to turn the air on though.

Reply to
Roadrunner NG

Exactly. Reading between the lines, it sounds like the 100 mpg is for the first few miles running mostly on batteries after you've completely charged them off the power grid. Apparently we're supposed to believe that electricity is free.

Bill Putney

For $40,000 more you can get a Tesla...

ALL electric and a 'gas' to boot!

Reply to
hachiroku

Reply to
Mike hunt

They won't be. There has never in all of recorded history been a politician who looked farther ahead than the next election. They'll pass laws requiring a certain percentage of all-electric cars be sold in a certain state and then refuse to approve the needed power plants to charge the car's batteries.

When people start to die because of a lack of electrical power, they'll point fingers at the power plant owners and say it's their fault.

The really bad part is that people will buy their excuses.

Jack

Reply to
Retired VIP

Really? Both President Bush and Clinton were concerned with what happened in the future (e.g., their legacy).

Mayor Bloomberg is concerned about the WTC, which will not be completed until after he leaves office, as well as other projects.

Actually, not. The greatest use of electricity is during the day. So, there will be enough power available. In addition, the power companies will be able to determine, within certain parameters, when is the best time to charge the batteries, so that the cheapest energy can be used. And hybrid cars will have the ability to put power back into the grid.

Reply to
Jeff

Why?

If you could charge your car off the grid and wind up getting 100 MPG then we could supply the grid power with safe clean nuclear!

If we allowed the construction of enough safe clean nuclear plants to give us 200% of the power needed in this country, and used the extra

100% to power cars, think of the oil we could become independent of.
Reply to
Sarah Houston

completely

It's not, but it would sure free us from oil that way.

Ideally we could come up with batteries that could go over 100 miles per charge, then supply all the electricity with nuclear. Bye bye OPEC!

If you went on a trip that was over 100 miles, you could charge it at a rest stop charging station.

That would free us.

Reply to
Sarah Houston

Planetary Bill of Rights Project declares July 4th, 2008 United States Energy Independence Day

From Planetary Bill of Rights Project Headquarters in Colorado

Release

It's time for another American revolution!

The Planetary Bill of Rights Project declares July 4th, 2008 as United States Energy Independence Day.

We believe that the American people are fed up with energy dependency on those who are often, in deed, enemies of our nation.

Our own government, immersed in the political correctness of the past, and bound by special interests, is refusing to allow the things to be done, that could bring us into energy independence.

It's time for another revolution!

We hold that the American people should absolutely demand the following from their Congress and President:

Remove all obstructions to the construction of new clean refineries in the United States.

Remove all obstructions to the construction of new safe clean nuclear power plants in the United States, and fast- track their approval.

Remove all tariffs on the importation of cellulose-based ethanol. ( Free market consumer demand will stimulate the auto manufacturers to increase production of flex-fuel vehicles to meet the new supply of ethanol that starts entering the country, which will cost less than the present price of gas. )

Remove all obstructions to the safe clean domestic production of oil off the coasts of the United States. ( Remember that during Katrina, not a single oil rig in the gulf, leaked or spilled, so they have the technology to build them safe and clean. )

Remove all obstructions to the safe clean domestic production of gasoline from coal and oil shale.

If these demands are met by Congress and the President, we predict that the bubble of maniacal speculation will burst and gas prices will fall drastically in the near future in the United States, and this country will eventually become freed from the chains of energy dependency on foreign powers.

The American people should demand that all of these points are passed by Congress and signed by the President on an emergency basis, by July

4th, 2008, in honor of United States Energy Independence Day.

Please write and email your representatives and the President immediately, and demand that they pass these measures by July 4th!

Reply to
Sarah Houston

The government botches almost everything they touch, let the free market handle it.

Reply to
Sarah Houston

Oh?

Clinton vetoed the offshore drilling bill in 1995, claiming that it would take at least 10 years to see any oil from it anyway. Here we are 13 years later, paying $4 a gallon for gas.

Reply to
Sarah Houston

Look, the first color TV's cost $35,000.

Everything costs a lot in the prototype stage, before mass production.

Reply to
Sarah Houston

And drilling for oil in the Gulf would not make much of a difference. It is a GLOBAL oil economy. The US is just a bit player in it.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

AQdd in the fact that it would be a short-time solution for a long-term problem. Yeah, let's deface the earth some more in the name of a short-term solution.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

Yep, you're right. That's why Bush has gotten us involved in a conflict that he sees no way out of. He jumped into the action without tell us how he would determine if we'd won or how he would get us out.

These projects are being driven by underlings. Folks who will make their living rebuilding those office towers.

I forgot, the brown outs in California were only during the day. Anyone who wanted could run their A/C at night. Hove you ever heard of peaking generators? Those are too dirty to be used in California.

Reply to
Retired VIP

Why don't you sell your car and walk Cathy? That way, there would be more oil for me to use.

Every solution is a short-term solution. It will only be used until a better solution is found and implemented. We couldn't get enough power out of water mills so someone invented a way to hookup a steam engine to a factory. Steam power was too expensive and dangerous so someone invented a way to replace the steam engine with electric motors. The same will happen with oil, we'll use it until something better comes along.

Jack

Reply to
Retired VIP

Yep, one oil well won't solve anything. So why explore for oil? Even if you find an oil field, one producing oil field won't supply the worlds oil needs for more than a couple of weeks, so what's the point in finding new supplies?

Oh, by the way Jeff, the glass IS half empty.

Jack

Reply to
Retired VIP