prius rims for snow tires?

I am considering a spare set of rims for my 2007 prius. I see many used or pull-off alloy rims on eBay. Do the Prius rims fit other Toyotas too/can I buy from another model of Toyota?

What about the air pressure sensors - will the car sense the 4 new rims or do I have to take it to the dealer?

I think I read in the NAV user guide I have to reset something when the tires are changed?

MPG is up - if I trust the consumption calculator. I average a steady 45 to

49 mpg in CT/NY driving. Rocky
Reply to
Rocky

You may be able to buy what is called a "universal rim" from a tire shop. It's not an alloy rim, and you have to have wheel covers to kind of dress them up if you want, but they would work fine for you as a seasonal winter set at a far cheaper cost than alloy rims. New rims will not affect the air pressure sensing, it works from rotational difference, but the tires might if they are substantially different in circumference. Check your owners manual to learn more and how to use and interpret the pressure sensing system.

Reply to
user

If you are considering 2 complete sets of tires/rims and want monitors on both sets (not cheap), you will need to take the car to the dealer to get the pressure sensors "registered" every time you change out the tires.

Example: 1 set of "All Seasons" and 1 set of "Snow". When you put on the SNOW tires, you will need to have the dealer register the TPMS sensors to the car. Then when you shift back to your "Normal" tires, another trip (and payment) to get the normal tires' TPMS sensors registered.

This cannot be done by the owners. You need a TOYOTA Smart Tool (or whatever it's called).

If you don't want to go to the expense of purchasing a second set of TPMS monitors (and paying to get them "registered" twice a year), you do not need the monitors. The car will run just fine without them (except for the blasted TPMS fault indicator light being on).

As an owner, YOU can set the air pressure sensor when you fix tires, refill them, etc. I believe the button is inside the glovebox (at least it is on my 07 Camry Hybrid).

John

Reply to
John H.

maybe I am better off just having the studded snow tires mounted on the existing rims and pay for balancing each season. At least the tires will be lighter when I put them into storage for the off seasons. Rocky

Reply to
Rocky

In this case, be SURE that the person doing the change-out knows that you have TPMS tire stems. The TPMS sensors are physically part of the stem. DO NOT try to remove the stems by simply yanking it out. Sure way to wreck the sensors. Also, the sensors are against the rim, very close to the outer sidewall bead. Care has to be taken not to damage the sensor.

With the increase in pressure-sensing monitoring systems, most major tire shops SHOULD know about the TPMS and ensure they don't damage them, but you can't be too careful.

One other item from the manual, do NOT use "FIX-A-FLAT" style items. It will "gum up" the pressure sensors and possibly destroy the sensors.

John

After reading over these responses I've given, it makes it look like I'm trying to warn you away from the TPMS. I'm not, I just want to let you know things that, IMHO, you should be aware of.

John

Reply to
John H.

Sorry about the misinformation Rocky. Like John H. mentioned that vehicle does have the new TPMS. He is absolutely right. I thought you had the older system. BTW, I think I read somewhere that the TPMS is mandated on cars in '08. It's a far superior system compared to the earlier ones, but kind of a pain for your application.

Reply to
user

Thanks, I will make sure they know about the system Rocky

Reply to
Rocky