Programming a Toyota remote?

I'm investigating options for my brother, whose 2000 Tacoma keyless remote is kaput. The local dealer wants $84 for the replacement, plus $99 for programming.

I suspect this is a major ass reaming? How hard can it be to program the thing???

Is there a good source of OEM or aftermarket remotes on the web anyone wants to recommend?

Any good web pages on programming that have been proven correct. I Googled it and got a ton, but many were conflicting.

Reply to
Sean Elkins

You can get online access to the factory service manual and technical service bulletins at techinfo.toyota.com for $10/day. I think there is a TSB which helps identify the specific theft deterrent system, which you need to know to figure out the correct programming sequence. The programming sequence is a chicken dance of opening and closing doors, turning keys, and pushing buttons. You have to be quick so it helps to rehearse the dance sequence or just take a few tries to get it right.

AFAIK, there are no aftermarket remotes that will work.

Reply to
Ray O

There are lots of remotes for sale on ebay, from about $10 to $20, and other folks sell the magic formula for programming them (which involves a lot of closing the door, locking the door, unlocking the door, turning on and off the ignition and perhaps making the sign of the cross a couple of times (just kidding about that) which they'll sell you for about $5 on ebay. The only caveat is that you have to get a mate for the one that is kaput....there are several types out there, and only the one like t he one that came with the car will work, I'm told. I got one for the Avalon, an exact match, and after a lot of fooling with the magic formula, got it to work.

Are you sure that your brother's remote doesn't just have a dead button battery?

Reply to
mack

Reply to
Ag '08