Protected of a LEMON and if we got one?

Hello again dear all,

It just came to mind about a Lemon. A Lemon means a deffective car, one that didnt get a healthy development so to speak. Right? How do I know I am not buying a lemon? And if I got one how do I get another in exchange (like Dell does with a deffective computer)??

Thanks! Erina

Reply to
Erina Mashes

If you have a particular dealer in mind, call them and ask if you can get a copy of their lemon laws. I don't think all states have them, but I think most do. That gives you a trial period before bringing back a defective car, however the intervals are varied.

You should also call your local Better Business Bureau for that info as well.

Natalie, been there, done that, took the sucker back

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

As mentioned, Lemon Laws are dictated by states (which have them). I believe that most lemon laws allow a refund if the new car has been in the shop (for warranty repairs) for a specified number of days during a specified period. It is usually not up to the discretion of the buyer as to whether the car is a lemon.

However, some states have a provision that allows used cars to be returned for a refund (maybe 2-3 days after purchase) for a full refund at the full discretion of the buyer.

Check your state consumer protection laws for details.

If you purchase a new Toyota, the odds of you getting a lemon are extremely small (unless you abuse the car). Make sure you read and understand the maintenance schedule required to your new car warranty (oil changes, transmission fluid, air filter, etc).

Reply to
Mark A

Even more good info, thanks!

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Natalie,

What confirms that a car is a Lemon??

Reply to
Erina Mashes

In MA, the law says any car that is in for the same repair three times without resolution can come under the lemon law, and a refund is available. However, there are also deductions for mileage, at $0.31 pre mile. I believe. Also, since most dealers WON'T refund the money cheerfully, there is an arbitration process. The arbitration process USUSALLY sides with the dealer; this gives the dealer more time to solve the problem. In the rare case a car can't be made workable within the warranty period, then either a refund is issued or the parties go to court.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Natalie may have been referring to a used car. For a new vehicle, it must be in the shop a specified number of days during a given period, or as another person in MA said, a certain number of times for the same problem. Many states specify that if a car is in the shop for warranty repairs for 30 days or more during the first year, then it is deemed a lemon (all these rules vary by state).

It doesn't do you any good to ask Natalie, unless she lives in the same state as you. Here are the lemon laws for all the states:

Mark A

Check with your State DMV on registration rules, and the State Attorney General or Consumer Protection agency about your local version of Lemon Laws.

Basically, a Lemon Car has been taken back to the dealer to fix the same recurring mechanical problem two or three times in a certain time period, and they can't make it work right. Some state lemon laws vary as to how substantial the problem has to be, or if it affects the material safety and function of the car. (Not for cosmetic problems.)

And as to buying someone else's returned lemon car: As a rule, if the car has been titled to someone once as "New" they cannot take it back and sell it as "New" again. Now, it's Used.

But ask about the specifics of your state laws - I wouldn't be surprised if some states had a way to "rollback" a title transfer from a dealer to the buyer so they can sell it again as new. That procedure would be meant for a car with under 100 miles on it and the buyer's credit fell apart in the first few days.

But an unscrupulous dealer would readily exploit any loophole like that if it exists, and lie under oath to the state to get them to "rollback" a lemon under that law, so they can foist it off again as New to someone else...

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Just buy a car with less than 100 miles if you don't want a returned lemon. There is no way a car can be classified as a lemon with that few miles on it (unless the car will not start). A brand new car that has never been for a test drive by a customer has about 5 miles on it (give or take a few).

Reply to
Mark A

Check with your state's Department of Consumer Protection and/or Department of Motor Vehicles.

Reply to
B a r r y

Look here

hunt

"Bruce L. Bergman" wrote:

Reply to
DustyRhoades

Any number of things - anything that does not work properly from day one, you should also go to

and see if others have found the car you're interested into be problematic.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Natalie