Pulsing Brake

2000 Avalon I had my brakes done a few months back (good job with rotors turned). Anyhow, all has been well until just recently when I began noticing a pulsing in the pedal when stopping. I feel it most when I push the pedal lightly rather than when I mash it. Anyhow, I'm wondering if this could have anything to do with the ABS or should I assume it's a rotor issue? Thanks. jor
Reply to
jor

It is probably the rotors. I say this because you mention that it pulsates when you have light pressure on the brake pedal. You might even notice or feel a slight movement from side to side of the steering wheel at the same time. Text book symptom. Have them turned again to Toyota specs. Some cars are detailed and fussy. Ray O in this NG probably has good information on this and perhaps he will post. Watch for it. It's the cheapest try at a fix. Maybe the people that did your brakes a few months ago have a warranty policy. Good luck.

jor wrote:

Reply to
nowhere

I am not a fan of turning rotors on Toyotas because brake pedal pulsation often returns relatively quickly. Instead, I recommend inspecting brake pads frequently, when the tires are rotated, and replacing them when there is 2mm (2/32") or less brake lining thickness remaining.

Replacement with OEM rotors should cure the condition.

If the problem was caused by an ABS problem, the ABS light would probably illuminate on the instrument panel and the driver should be able to hear the ABS actuator.

Reply to
Ray O

IMHO,

best thing you can do, is have the brakes reinspected. You can have uneven wear, and many shops will do a friendly check after they have already worked on your brakes.

hth,

tom @

Tom The Great

See:

Note the discussion of "adherent" braking and thickness variation exceeding several ten thousandths of an inch.

Reply to
nospampls2002

Thanks to all. I guess I'll take it back for now and follow Ray's advice next time. Good link. Anyhow, I'll post later on how this comes out. Re my earlier post on the fogging AC, I bought a cabin filter and will also post on those results. jor

Reply to
jor

Hey that was a very good link. Thanks

Reply to
Danny G.

all has been well until just recently when I began

pedal lightly rather than when I mash it. Anyhow,

assume it's a rotor issue? Thanks.

Tires that are never rotated often will eventually cause a brake peddle pulse. Noise to. Its easy to overlook and rotating the front tires to the rear usually takes care of it.

Dan

Reply to
Danny G.