[Q:] do the accessory powerpoints automatically turn off after a period of time???

I have a 2007 Toyota Sequoia that I plugged a maglight rechargable flashlight into one of the accessory powerpoints located on the lower right front of the center console and left in overnight. When I returned in the morning there was not power flowing to the flashlight charger, but when I started the engine, the power came back.

Does anyone know if this car is smart enough to recognize a load on the car battery and automatically turn it's self off after an amount of time as to not let the car battery die?

Or is it a timer that turns its self off after a set amount of time?

Toyota Corp. doesn't know for sure, and neither does my dealer. Is there anyone out there that knows for sure?

Thanks

Reply to
Anonomouse

These powerpoints are only active when the ignition is in the Accessory or On positions. The rest of the time they are off.

You could come up with a nifty circuit using something like a 555 timer chip (showing my age, but these things are only 5 cents now!) that would keep an add-on power point running for X minutes, but you'll have to ask Bruce about that. I've forgotten 90% of what I knew!

Reply to
Hachiroku +O+A+m+/

I would highly doubt that Toyota Corp. doesn't know for sure. You probably have not been in contact with the right person. It may mention that in the owners manual. You may want to try the Toyota nation web site as well. Good luck.

Reply to
user

Or take it back to Toyota dealer and say, "There is something wrong with my power point. It stays on after I shut off the ignition." I am sure that they have something abotu this in their service manuals they can look up.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

The accessory outlet are not on a timer. It is hot when the ignition switch is in the on or accessory position and off when the switch is off.

AFAIK, the only circuits that are timed to stay live for a while after the ignition is turned off are for the power windows and sunroof and for the headlights.

Reply to
Ray O

FWIW my T dealer assured me the Prius power outlet for cancertube lighters turns off with the ignition. (But haven't tested this.) T seem to like being consistent across their range of models.

Why not do a controlled test?

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

Yes Mark, the powerpoint stayed on after turning off the key, but a couple hours later it turned off automatically. I appreciate everyone's guessing on this one, but as I said before, I've already consulted Toyota and the operator on the phone who said they spoke with a "technician" said that it turned off with the key, so I know they are wrong. The dealer didn't know either. The luck of hitting a service tech who actually knows the answer is slim, which is why I'm opening the question up to the whole internet world. However, I would appreciate an answer from someone only if they know the answer, not if they are merely reporting back what theirs does, or venturing a guess.

Thank you.

Reply to
Anonomouse

I used to be one of the people who answered customer questions that the dealer could not answer.

Toyota refers to the feature you are inquiring about as "retained power." You can check the factory service manual at

for $10.00 per day. Look under the BE (Body Electrical) section to see if the

2007 Sequoia has this.

Toyota's usual setup for retained power is 30 seconds, or when you open one of the doors, whichever comes first. I thought the retained power was just for the power windows and sunroof, but you can check yourself to see if the accessory outlets on your Sequoia are also retaining power. If I think of it, I'll check our Sequoia Limited to see if the outlets have retained power when I get home.

In the 2007 Tundra, the retained power was extended for up to 2 hours but knowing how Toyota implements changes, I would be surprised if this change was incorporated in the Sequoia without a major changeover for the Sequoia. Another possibility is that the LED indicator does not go out right away on the charger when the power is cut off. The LED on my laptop adapter glows for a while after it is unplugged

Reply to
Ray O

Some vehicles, like most late model Fords, are equipped with a sensor that detects a high amperage draw, like letting the headlamps on, when the ignition is in the off position. After a period of time it cuts power. It resets when the ignition is again turned on. Perhaps your vehicle has something similar.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Ray O, that's interesting. It could be that. The power stays on for a lot longer than 30 seconds, but I'm not sure if it's more than 2 hrs or not. I'll have to experiment to see if it is a consistant amount of time, or not. Otherwise, I think it has to do with what Mike Hunter said, that it is based on a power draw.

Reply to
Anonomouse

Mike:

This is what I think it is, since it seems to be a random amount of time that it shuts off each time. I'll experiment with some different high and low amp equipment to see if it varies.

Thanks.

Reply to
Anonomouse

Leaving the outlet hot while there is a power draw is a very convenient setup, but I have not seen it in a Toyota yet.

I checked out 2003 Sequoia last night, and the accessory outlets on the side of the center console do not retain power - it immediately turns off, so the setup is not the same as in the 2007 Sequoia.

A different topic, but I think you will be very pleased with the Sequoia's traction. I drove a sample of every AWD and 4WD vehicle Toyota offered from

1978 through 1993 plus our 2003 Sequoia, and the most sure-footed and stable vehicles were the Camry All-Trac and the Sequoia. Our Sequoia has traction and stability control and the only time I have ever been able to get the stability control to even kick in is in 2WD, on a snow-covered empty lot with the steering wheel cranked all the way over and flooring it. Instead of spinning donuts, it just beeped a few times and started going in circles. I tried it in 4WD, and I couldn't get it to spin - it just went in circles.

The biggest danger I can see from the Sequoia's sure-footed-ness is overconfidence and going too fast for conditions and ending up with the rest of the SUV's in the ditch.

Reply to
Ray O

Well, I think that the final analisys is that the accy plugs do shut off on a timer. It's not within a few minutes of turning off the key, but within an hour or so, they shut off, even if there is nothing plugged into them whatsoever. The downside of that however is that you can't charge up a cell phone or rechargable flashlight etc... when the engine is off. That kind of sucks.

Reply to
Anonomouse

That's interesting. Was it in the manual?

I know on my Scion, if you leave the door open, after 20 minutes the interior lights turn themselves off. I don't know about the power points, though...

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B