Q. Instrument Panel Bulbs

I'm replacing the instrument panel bulbs on my 97 Corolla. They are fairly standard bulbs, but have some piece of blue rubber sleeve on them...kinda like a little condom..i swear.. The panel is underlit already IMHO..what is the purpose of the plastic? Would it be safe to just leave the rubber off them so i get better illumination?

Reply to
mike.frankl

Yeah, that works, but whatever nice coloring the dash had before will be gone, and it may be bright white.

I kind of like this effect. One of the nicest dashes I had was in a 240SX. It had very very light blue colored 'condoms' on the bulbs. It made the dash look almost flourescent. It was really cool. I was going to do the same thing to my Corolla. The bulbs with the rubber covers are $13 each from Nissan!!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Reply to
mike.frankl

That sounds similar to the 240SX. They do provide some coloration, in this case it's very mild.

You will see a difference. The skin gave it a softening. It will be a harsher, yellower light without the covers!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Reply to
mike.frankl