Question about body work?

My dad got his Camry in a wreck. The driver's side was damaged. I took the car to a local body shop since the dealer wanted an arm and leg. After it was all done, i noticed alot of wind noise coming from the driver's side door. I noticed that the door was made out of soft flimsy metal/material. Was this causing the wind to howl through the door. It feels like the door wasn't completely shut when i drove on the freeway, but it was. Anyone know what happened?

Reply to
zcarenow

I shouldn't poke the troll, but it's /almost/ believable...

Sounds like they used an aftermarket replacement door skin and/or inner door pane.. You might be able to tell the difference in the sound when slamming it shut, but it shouldn't be noticeably "flimsy" - if it is, they may not have welded everything together right.

The wind noise may mean they don't have the gap between the door and body set right and the weatherstripping isn't making a seal with the door. Or the weatherstripping itself is ripped or crushed and not making a seal.

Put a piece of paper in the door at various points around the door, and close the door. The paper should be hard to pull out if the door seal properly pinches it tight.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

A couple things may have happened here. They may have used an inferior part, as Bruce alluded to, or they may have simply not lined the door up properly. Bring it back and ask them to make sure the door is lined up.

Or, they may have replaced the door with a used dooe, and it may have been bent. What we have done in the past when this has happened was to lower the window and grab the top of the door and give it a good tug. This is the Gumby way, and you're on your own if you do this! Oh, and it only works if the door has a frame going around the window!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Everything is ok now. I took it back to them. They forgot to put some lining cover between the door that was on it originally. The noise has lessened, but i do think the metal they used was cheap/inferior.

Reply to
zcarenow

Is this where we say "you get what you pay for?" Toyota metal (especially on Camrys) seems pretty thin to begin with. I'm reall carful where I park and still have number of door dings. If a door skin panel was replace - you could have it lined with dynamat or a spary on undercoating/sound deadener.

Reply to
Wolfgang