Question About Camry 2007

Is 4-cylinder Camry available with Navigation System? When I go online to configure/build the vehicle, the navigation system option only appears for the 6-cylinder models. Is it possible to order this option with the 4-cylinder model?

Thanks!

Reply to
success_ny

I think it depends on the region where you live.

Reply to
Ray O

I called a couple of dealers. All say that the 4-cylinder models don't come with Navigation. One said they can custom-install the navigation system but that would be installed in such a way that I would have to flip the CD player in order to acces the navigation screen (on the other side).

That does not make sense. Aren't most people concerned with today's high gas prices and want to buy 4-cylinder models?

Reply to
success_ny

Production Order Preferences (POP) are submitted by the distribution departments in the regional offices. Traditionally, people who buy

4-cylinder models were more concerned with price than with lots of options so you tended to see more options on higher-end XLE models with V-6 engines than on CE or LE models with 4 cylinder engines. As demand at dealerships change, they can pass their POP info on to their regional distribution department.
Reply to
Ray O

IMO, a built-in navigation system is a waste of money. And if something goes wrong with it, the whole car must be brought in. A portable unit is a better investment, and if something goes wrong with it, you'll still have the car while the unit is being repaired.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

I would agree except that I am afraid the portable navigation will be stolen, cause it's very easy to steal. Doesn't just clip on to the dashboard? Seems like putting a removable/portable navigation for $1000 is an invitation for someone to open the car and steal the unit.

Is there a way to secure it with some kind of lock?

Reply to
success_ny

High Tech Misfit wrote

I agree entirely. Portable units are cheaper initially (to buy), cheaper to update the software and map data, cheaper (and more convenient) to repair, can be used in your other cars, and you can keep it when you get rid of the old car.

success_ny wrote:

Yes, and it's easy. Take it inside with you. Lock the door behind you.

Check out Magellan RoadMate 760. MS Street and Maps, $99. Runs on your laptop. etc. (Everyone has their favorite.)

Reply to
ll