Question about replacing struts

Hello,

Open question: I own a Toyota Avalon with 95,000 miles. Great car. Just replaced tires. The car overall rides and steers good but at times when passing over a pothole or manhole cover the car really bangs down hard with a bone jarring bump.

Questions: Should I replace all struts?

Will struts smooth out the bone jarring bumps?

How much will the bone jarring bumps be stopped?

What struts should I use for replacement?

What is the best buy for the money?

Which struts will give me the most comfortable ride?

Thank you for your answers. I have received some great tips from this group.

Bill Poston

poston8 [@] comcast.net

Reply to
Bill Poston

Bill Poston wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I'm in the same position as you with a '97. Seems okay doing the 'push on the fender' shock test and doesn't bob like a boat, but does bang and rattle sometimes over bumps and kind of 'squishy' leaving the store parking lot etc. Talked to 2 dealers last week and an independent Toyota shop. Amazingly all three said it was probably the shock mounts deteriorating and 'probably' not the struts which probably won't need replacing. Unless I wanted to.

Price from the dealers $1650 all four struts with mounts. NTB $1025.00 plus alignment (Monroes he said)(mounts extra if needed). Independent shop $700.00 plus alignment (KYB's)(mounts extra if needed).

I just want a nice smooth ride, though mine always rode a bit tight, not like the newer Camrys, etc. Will probably try the shop but still worried the KYB's are going to be too stiff.

Unk

Reply to
Unk

Thanks for your input. Lets see if we get any more info.

Reply to
Bill Poston

The rattling noise is caused by the deteriorating rubber on the strut mounts where the top of the struts attach to the strut tower. I have not heard your car, but the banging on our 97 Avalon went away when we had the struts and mounts replaced at a dealer, and the car rides like new with 100,000 miles. The struts were not bad, but I had them replaced since the car was apart. I wouldn't describe the ride in our Avalon as firm. To me, it is pretty soft, a lot like our Lexus but not as quiet. The new struts didn't affect the ride noticeably but psychologically, it seems a lot smoother because the knocking noise is gone. We purchased the car new, my sons are driving the car now.

In order to change the strut mounts, you have to remove the struts so many people have the front struts changed since they're already out of the car. If you have a dealer change the struts and mounts, then you will have a lifetime guarantee on the struts and labor to replace them at any Toyota dealer. If you decide to get Monroe or KYB struts, make sure you read the warranty carefully to see if you have to go back to the place that installed them, if labor is included, etc. I do not have any experience with Monroe or KYB on the Avalon so I can't say what difference, if any, they will make on the ride comfort.

Reply to
Ray O

Here's more info: if hitting a manhole cover, bumps other than potholes, etc is causing a "bone-jarring" jolt, chances are the springs are wearing. Now, I have had 3 Toys over 220,000 and they didn't develop these symptoms until well over 150,000 miles.

As for the struts, if you don't feel like replacing the springs just yet, you can get a cartridge that slides into the strut (provided the struts are not bent or damaged, and I don't see why they would be at this mileage unless you REALLY nailed something) that cost $50-90 depending on where you get them and what type you get. A KYB for this car, with a lifetime guarantee should run $45-60, and they are good; they will give you a 'sporty' ride (meaning you'll feel pebbles in the road!) but are designed for 'spirited' driving. You can also get the usual Monroe's etc, also w/a lifetime guarantee.

For springs, expect to pay about $75 each from the dealer for OEM, or about $60-75 a pair for Moog parts. This will probably take care of the bone-jarring you're feeling.

Also, if you're hearing any creaking, 'crunking' or groaning, esp going around corners, or around corners on a bump at the same time, you might need shock mounts, about $40 each. Add labor and it's starting to add up.

The good news, any decent independant garage can do all of this at a lower rate than Toyota will. I am lucky enough to have such a mechanic available, and I save hundreds on this kind of work by going to him. I trust him implicitly.

As for doing it yourself, unless you are really careful, you can injure yourself severely. You need a spring compressor to compress the springs for removal; I was having cartridges replaced in an '80 Corolla in 1982, the guy was a friend's father that had a garage. He put the clamps on the spring and removed the strut from the car and rested it on the ground. We moved to the other side of the car and began hearing a groaning from the side we had just done. Then a FOOOOM and a CRAAACK! One of the clamps (that were designed for compressing springs) had worked itself loose and flew about 8 feet, going right through a cinder block wall. But that was

23 years ago, and better equipment is available...right next to the same type of clamp that went through the wall. Lisle makes a spring compression too the BOLTS onto the spring, it costs about $50 and if used properly can't fly off the spring.

Good Luck...

Reply to
hachiroku