Question about trunk lock in 92 Paseo car

Hi all,

I am new to this group. Nice to meet everyone!

I just bought a nice condition 1992 Toyota Paseo and I noticed that the trunk lock does not seem to work. The key fits, but it will not turn. I am worried that the key/lock mechanismis busted :( I tried using Wd-40 and Super Penetrating Oil, but still no luck!

Luckily, I have founda scrap yard with about 6 Paseos that I take parts from. One of them is a newer (94ish i think) Paseo with a working trunk lock. How hard is it to remove the trunk lock and replace it?

HELP!

Thanks in advance, Derek

Reply to
MegaC

In the future, do not use WD 40 or penetrating oil in any locks. Use graphite lock lubricant. I prefer Lock-Ease in aerosol spray.

A trunk lock is very easy to remove and replace, as long as you can get into the trunk. The lock cylinder is held in place with a horseshoe-shaped spring clip. Pull the clip out, and the lock cylinder comes out.

Reply to
Ray O

Check that the trunk lock isn't set in the Valet Mode before you take anything apart. On any of the higher option-package cars they have special lock cylinders in the glovebox and trunk, and you get two kinds of keys - the regular key that fits everything, and a Valet Key.

If you want to keep the parking attendant out of the stuff you keep in the glovebox or trunk, you use the regular key and turn it to the left in the lock (the cylinder stays in the horizontal position), and then you take the regular key with you.

You leave them only the Valet Key which can't reverse it to open the glovebox or trunk. Only good for the doors and ignition. This won't stop someone intent on swiping your stuff, but it will slow them down.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Sounds like someon may have replaced the trunk lock. Check wit ALL keys, and then maybe have a locksmith look at it. It can be reset for the ignition key for about $35.

Reply to
Hachiroku