Question for the Techs (or anyone who knows) 88 Supra dome light

Dome light is not functioning. I have the "Sport Roof" and I have heard this is a common problem on this.

Before I go digging, can someone who knows or has been there before tell me what I'm looking for? (other than a blown fuse, of course!)

Does not turn on at all, not with the doors or the switch.

BTW, this car DOES leak, which will be another bridge to cross (if it ever sees rain again...)

Reply to
hachiroku

Hope yours isn't having the problem mine has. It's rusted through for whatever mechanism switches the lights on and off. I thought all I needed was a bulb or a fuse, but alas, no.

I've received the parts thanks to someone who frequents this NG, but I have yet to get it fixed. According to the mechanic, my snapped e-brake cable is related to the door light, but my door light *does* work with the switch; just not with the doors.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

If that's the standard Toyota dome light housing, the switch is built into the housing. The toggle arm has the handle molded to one end and a rivet as the pivot, and the contacts are rivets holding the electrical terminals to the plastic light body. If it's been wet behind the light, it's probably time to change the whole housing.

If you can't find the exact right part, some finagling is in order. Find a plain dome light that will fit the hole, like an RV "eyeball" reading light from a trailer supply, and put in a DPDT switch to get the Auto-Off-On functions the way you need them.

Myself, I like using a Thin-Lite RV fluorescent as a dome light. They look like heck unless you get a flush-mount model, but when you have 'getting-older-person' eyes having a whole lot of light available on demand is a blessing. ;-)

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Gee, people complain about transmissions, engines, fires, and you're worried about a dome light? I'm glad I didn't have to work on your car when I was patrolling western MA

You probably know this, but pull the rubber boot off of the door switches and make sure the plungers for the switches are not stuck in the down position.

Assuming that the fuse and bulbs test good and the bulb terminals and door switches are good, remove the dome light and see if you get power at the connector. If no power at the connector then you have to work your way back through the various connectors to the power source. While you're at it, make sure the ground is good. A wiring diagram with wire color codes obviously would make life a LOT easier.

Good luck!

Reply to
Ray O

Natalie, I have never heard of a parking brake cable having any effect on a dome light. If the switch works but it doesn't come on when you open the doors, first check to make sure the door switch isn't stuck. When you open the door, look for a black rubber boot that almost looks like a mini-shifter boot. If you grab the boot, you will feel a plunger underneath. Pull on the plunger and see if the light comes on. You can also take a small screwdriver and pry the boot off to reveal the plunger. If it is stuck in the down position, spray some lube (not WD-40) and see if the plunger pops out more freely. Do this on all the doors.

Reply to
Ray O

No, this is not the standard Toyota dome light they've been using for about 25 years. It is kind of like a 'map light' setup on the top of the windshield hearder, because of the Targa style roof. I found something on it about 4 months ago but can't remember where, and my bookmarks got lost :( I think it's a rust issue, if I remember right. I guess I'm just gonna have to rip it off and dig into it...

Reply to
hachiroku

Aw, I was an elec-tech for about 18 years. Shouldn't be too hard, but I have heard of this before with the Targa style roof.

As far as nit-picking, naw, I pretty much take care of the nickle-and-dime stuff myself. However, in '75 when the rear end blew in my 04/74 Corolla, you probably DID deal with me! That was at Petrin's for about 10 days waiting for parts from Japan. I guess the 1200 wasn't a real popular car in the US, although I did see a LOT of them around! It was BRIGHT YELLOW!!! and was a great car. Finally gave up around 190,000 miles, probably due to the fact my stepfather ran it for up to 2 weeks with no oil cap on the engine. Had about 1.5 quarts in it by the time I discovered it...

Reply to
hachiroku

This should be a piece of cake for you!

Just bustin' your chops... I started with Toyota on the day after Labor Day in '78 and that was in San Francisco so it wasn't me that you dealt with. I got transferred to NE in the spring of '83.

Good luck with the light!

Reply to
Ray O

hachiroku wrote: snip

Jeez...rusty bookmarks?...(hope mine don't do that) :)

--

-Gord.

"Perhaps my memory isn't what it used to be - if it ever was"

Reply to
Gord Beaman

AAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!! ;)

Reply to
hachiroku

Apparently that's not the problem, cuz they said once my calipers, etc are installed, the dome light will start working again.

*shrug*

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Natalie, I don't know how calipers can affect dome lights because the two are completely unrelated. I would give some serious thought to finding someone else to work on your car!

Reply to
Ray O

We'll see how they do tomorrow. Maybe the problem was that the area of the wiring for the lights is frozen by rust. I seem to remember them saying something like that

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

The switches go bad, also clean the contacts if that doesnt work check all connections and make sure that the wire isnt cut or frayed.

Reply to
Myrone Bagalay

eah, really! What a way to make a few hundred on a brake job! Gee, I'll have to remember this one!

Reply to
hachiroku

Natalie Natalie...what else have these guys suggested to you?!?...gee...