Question on Tire Warranty

I just bought a 2005 4 Runner 2 wheel drive Limited with the V6 engine. Looking through the warranty info enclosed in the manual about service, it mentions tire rotation every 5000 miles along with oil change. *If* this was done, there is an insert about 100,000 mile tire guarantee, *if* the requirements are met. In reading, I see that *if* a new tire is required (3/32nd) tread left (whatever that really means), the purchase is based on the full retail price of the tire according to Toyota.

I called my tire dealer and he gave me a price on the same tire that comes on my car for about $112 installed with free lifetime balance and rotation and road hazard guarantee (265/65/17-Bridgestone). I would be willing to bet that Toyota has the tire retail *much* higher...I plan to call. Toyota wants $17 plus tax for the rotation, and 'maybe' a balance (who knows how much they charge for that) all to stay within the warranty. This means you would spend more than $180 in 50,000 miles on rotations alone. Sounds like another dealer 'trap' to me...what say you??

Thanks for replies,

...Allen

Reply to
Allen L.