Question: Swiching Insurance Co.

Been with GEICO for past 8 consecutive years. I have excellent record.

Another company, AIG, offers me a rate that's about $150 less than the "best" GEICO can do.

** SAME COVERAGE **

Question: Is this too good to be true ? I mean is this some kind of "switch-over special" ? Is GEICO really that much better than AIG ?

inputs pls thanks

Reply to
boobie

IMHO GEICO is one of the very worse insurance companies --- they'd drop you in a heart beat. Just make sure the coverage is the same or better. Many companies (State Farm) give a good drivers/accident free discount after so many years.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Thats a load of shit. I've had one minor accident, two at fault accidents (One mine and one my wife's) a theft claim and have never been canceled by Geico. Geico is reputable and has always paid me on time and gave me what I asked for. I suspect the AIG would be similar but I am not sure. Geico has been good to me.

Reply to
Bugsy

We can't get Geico in Mass because of their 'policies', and not their insurance policies!

When I was working in CT, I knew a LOT of people that were dropped or assigned to High Risk after only one accident, even if not their fault.

That was 15 years ago, perhaps they have cleaned up since.

But Mass will not let them write policies here. Yet they advertise here every 5 minutes!

AIG is actually a finance co that is just getting into the auto ins. business.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Wonder if it has anything to do with the frequent readings of posts in the motocycle newsgroups of them signing you on at a cheaper premium and then boosting it - substanially - in subsequent years?

Dunno, but I lost interest in them once they started providing free radar detectors to police departments. Nice way to increase their pocketbook by raisng premiums later on to those who were caught speeding via their "free toys" to the police.

Too good to be true? Maybe.

B~

Reply to
B. Peg

no, not really. insurance prices are all over the map. anyone who DOESNT shop around every year or so is foolish.

who knows. geico isnt exactly known for the best rates.

insurance is insurance. as long as its legit, and theyll pay out legitimate claims in a timely manner, thats all that matters.

next time around, coming up soon, im going to price progressive, nationwide (through costco), 21st century, mercury, and see if i can get an even lower price.

i probably ought to drop my full coverage, since bluebook on a 98 civic hatch isnt a whole lot.

Reply to
SoCalMike

"B. Peg"

well insurance co can just hike rate on you out of the blue, right ? there has to be causes like accidents, state-wide change etc. no ?

Reply to
boobie

I coulda sworn "boobie" typ'd:

Back in '93 I bought a Ducati 900SS sportbike and, after shopping around (foolish not to) I insured it with Universal Underwriters. The next year, when it was time to renew, the rate suddenly MORE THAN DOUBLED with no reason given. I guess they figured out the Duc was high performance.

Don (switched to State Farm that year)

Reply to
Don Fearn

Geico is just overpriced/overmarketed crap. What else would you expect from a Microsoft company?

Reply to
chuck

Not Microsoft but Berkshire Hathaway, Warren Buffet's company. Traveler's quotes lower rates in Florida and I went with them in lieu of GEICO. I determined to insure with Progressive, applied on-line, got a reasonable quote, paid with Visa and then they insisted I FAX them all manner of documentation with regards to my insurability. I presume my data is available from Equifax or eqivalent but they wanted FAX's. Naturally I have no FAX machine. I asked if I could attach PDF's of the documents to an e-mail note. They were aghast! "No attachments, there will be a virus!" I tired of their charade and got a refund. Progressive talks a good game but their Customer Focus is poor, IMHO..

Reply to
Enrico Fermi

Not in Mass. We have regulated insurance here. We also have, I thik, the second or third worst drivers in the country, and a high theft/vandalism rate.

So, the government set limits as to what companies can charge. Most balked, and either walked or got thrown out. For example, Allstate said they didn't want to write auto policies because they couldn't make money, so the state said, OK, you can't write ANYTHING and threw them out. GEICO was never here.

We currently have 19 insurance companies writing policies here, and more leave every year.

And we pay higher rates than surrounding states.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Hachiroku wrote: snip

Now right here is a lesson,,,some of you guys bitch and complain because the Gov't MIGHT make a law which will protect people from those who don't maintain their safety equipment (DRL systems) 'and even remove it' and yet that same Gov't is allowed to horn in on a commercial business and forbid it from operating. Mind you, price fixing should be squashed but this sounds pretty high handed to me...

Reply to
Gord Beaman

boobie wrote in rec.autos.makers.honda:

The question comes in claims handling. We share office space with a personal injury attorney. Many lawyers will not deal with cases coming out of AIG, and assorted other companies, and such companies are always trying to skimp on claims and underpay. Good on one end, I guess, not so good on the other. If you expect to continue to have a hassle-free driving experience, go for the savings. Just be careful.

Reply to
Brandy  Alexandre

SoCalMike wrote in rec.autos.makers.honda:

I finally dropped comp/collision from my 1991 a couple of years ago. Now I have to fully cover a new car. If I didn't have to have comp/collision, my insurance would have actually gone down because of all the safety features.

I changed from Geico to Allstate a little while back because I got a renter's insurance policy when I went back to Los Angeles for four months. I wanted coverage in case anything happened while I was gone. It provided an extra discount on both policies because they were with the same company. Turns out Allstate stand alone is more than a couple of other quotes I got for the 2006, but the multi- policy discount makes up for it.

Reply to
Brandy  Alexandre

"Brandy Alexandre"

yeah true that

Reply to
boobie

My neighbor switched to GEICO and saved $215. Then he switched to Sate Farm and saved another $267. When he switched to AIG he saved $199. The way he has it figured if I switches three or four more times his insurance cost will be ZERO LOL

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Geico. Ha. Progressive. Ha. State Farm. Ha. Farmers. Ha. All in my humble opinion.

Companies have all sorts of hidden internal 'rules' on how they do things. That's one reason why some are more satisfying that others, even though they may all "pay" your claim.

I recall reading that State Farm (?not sure?) will pay a $500 claim with no hit on your claim record, but Progressive moves into high gear to raise your rates. How would you know what they're going to do? Yet, that is part of the service you're buying.

State Farm and Farmers used to be two of the best companys, but they haven't been so consumer friendly in recent years.

Why would you send your money to Geico, so they can buy laser guns for cops to write you tickets, and increase your premiums? That's counterproductive.

Check out Amica Mutual. They were the first auto insurer in the country. Not Geico which cleverly seems to suggest in ads that they were, without quite saying so. I've been with Amica 15 years. Even they are now a little stickier to deal with, but it's a continuing trend in the industry. Disclaimer -- I'm not affiliated with any of these other than as a customer. Amica is not the cheapest however. My point is that there are other concerns as well.

Reply to
jmattis

I am in Massachusetts and have been with Amica since 1958. In the early days they would send you a check for 20 -35% of the premium paid. Now the have the option on homeowners for either a dividend check at the end of the year or a less expensive rate. They do give a 10% discount if you combine your auto and house insurance. Ten years or so ago Amica would not accept you as a customer unless you were recommended by a policyholder. They have no agents so you deal direct with the company. Consumer reports did a survey awhile ago and rated Geico. number 1 in customer satisfaction but didn't survey Amica. Enough Amica customers complained so Consumer reports surveyed Amica and revised their findings to two number 1's

Ron

Reply to
n877

Thats Bull.

My car was hit three times (all three while I was standing at a stoplight!)

Geico paid each claim and covered my rental from Enterprise (they really did pick me up!)

Geico hates careless speeders and those with radar detectors.

Which one are you?

Reply to
slim

Three claims, three checks, rental car paid for each time, no increase.

I LOVE GEICO!

Reply to
slim