Questions on 2000 Corolla

I am looking into buying a yr. 2000 Corolla with 109K miles, AT AC for (asking price) $3750. I know among sedans, Corolla/Camry rate near the top for reliability. I checked the fueleconomy.gov site. There two different versions that have different transmissions? Because they give a rating for one automatic as 29/37 mpg, and for a different trans. its only 28/32. So when I look at the car, how do I tell which tranny, which MPG applies ? This is just the EPA rating, is real- world going to be lower significantly? If they haven't changed timing belts, will the valves and pistons be damaged if it breaks? Should this be done at 100K?

I don't know which trim package it is, but if it is the mid-level LE, Kelly BB has it listed to a private party as $5475....so this asking price looks like a good deal, if not damaged.

Does this model yr. have any weak points? Thanks Geronimo

Reply to
geronimo

Pop-N-Fresh

The higher mileage applies to the 4 speed automatic and the lower mileage applies to the 3 speed automatic. Most likely, the VE trim has a 3 speed automatic and the LE and CE have 4 speed automatics. Look at the shifter and shift console. If the shifter has an OD Off button and the console has PRD2L, then it is a 4-speed auto,

I have always gotten fuel mileage equal to or better than EPA mileage, but driving conditions and driving style will affect whether you do or not.

The 2000 Corolla has a timing chain that does not need routine replacement.

No significant ones that I am aware of.

Reply to
Ray O

Well, how do I determine what is worth? I mean I have a new Kelly Blue Book, but there are different values listed. I talked to the seller and it is a VE with the 3- spd tranny. Bummer. So this devalues it quite a bit I would think. Its 4-dr sedan, powertrain and body in excellent shape he says. Cold AC. has 107K miles on it. The Kelly BB lists the VE "good" trade-in value as $3800... for a private seller, $5175. the CE trim class goes for $300 more....because of the tranny? Their asking price is $3750. That would seem to be a good price, since it is about what the trade-in value is. Its a dealer, a junkyard that also sells some used cars. Junkyards definitely have low overhead compared to a conventional sales lot ;-) Maybe offer them $3500?

I need a economical car that will last for another one yr. with no major breakdowns. In one year, I will be selling it, as I will be leaving the country. If well-cared for, is this a car I want? Consumer Reports gives Corolla, even the older 2000 model, very high marks for reliability.

Actually, there is about 6MPG difference between the 3 and 4 spd trannys, but that is for HWY travel. We may never go on any long trip in the next year, and I see that there is only abt 1 MPG difference with city-driving. So the tranny is probably a non-issue for me.

What should I have done with it if I buy it? Tranny power flush, oil and filter change?

Thanks for advice geronimo

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 12:04:16 -0500, "Ray O" wrote:

Reply to
geronimo

My only qualms would be about the fact that it's for sale by a junkyard. Is it possible that it's a salvage title and the car has been either in a bad accident and cobbled back together, or in a flood (remember Katrina?) in which case the car is practically worthless. I'd be careful about pulling back the carpet and looking at the floorboards and trunk bottom for rust and mildew. Go carefully on this one. If you find anything peculiar or suspicious, leave the premises. There are oodles of used cars out there, and remember that this isn't the only one by a long shot. Better to find a little old lady's car with lower mileage and regular maintenance.

Reply to
mack

Partially because of the transmission, which costs more, and partially because of more content in the higher trim levels.

See mack's warnings about purchasing a vehicle from a junkyard.

If the car is truly in good condition, then it should prove very reliable. If the car is salvaged or has been in a flood, then it will probably be very troublesome.

Do the maintenance suggested in the owner's manual for that particular time and mileage interval.

Reply to
Ray O

Yea, The fact that it is at a salvage yard makes it suspect...will have to check it over very carefully for any signs of being "cobbled together", flood damage, and will get car fax report. But it may be perfectly good. I have found that every time I get in a hurry to buy a car, I make a bad decision...never fails. thanks, Geronimo

Reply to
geronimo

It should not be too difficult to tell if the car was cobbled together. The major body panels should have a sticker with the VIN from the factory. The VIN stickers on the hood, left and right front fenders, deck lid, doors, etc. should all match.,

Lifting up the carpet in the passenger compartment is not always so easy, so look for excessive rust in the spare tire well, and on the front seat adjuster tracks (look under the front seats from the back seat)

Reply to
Ray O