radiator leak

My 1997 Camry LE 4 with 190K miles has a radiator leak. It is at the top of the radiator below the part where you add coolant. It's actually below the seam, although there is also some seepage from other parts of the seam farther away.

The local car parts store sells a replacement radiator for $140 and I looked at the Haynes manual to see how easy it is to replace one. It doesn't look too terribly difficult although I am a bit foggy regarding the part where it connects to the transmission. Does a hose circulate coolant through the transmission or does the hose circulate transmission fluid through a radiator section?

How hard is it to do this job or is it worth it to just have the mechanic do it? I am hesitant to use Barr's Stop Leak since I have seen what that stuff look likes and can't see that stuff ever being cleaned out of the engine cooling passages.

Reply to
badgolferman

Replacing a radiator is not that difficult. The transmission cooler has separate lines from the transmission to the radiator so the ATF circulates through a separate section of the radiator. The transmission lines are much smaller diameter than the radiator hose, about the diameter of a Sharpie.

Reply to
Ray O