RAV4 beeper

The RAV4 is a lovely car, but it has the kind of automatics that is sometimes unwanted and that you cannot control. For example, when you leave the key in the contact and open the door, it beeps. Also, when you leave a light on and want to leave the car, it beeps. Sometmes, this is helpfrul, some other times it is a pain in the....(neck). I asked the Toyota garage to remove this fff....(unny) little sound devil to have peace, but they refused, saying that it was connected to the air bag (?????) and that their responsibility re safety was engaged. I think this is a lota bull....(spit) but anyway, they are masters in the art of being stubbornly stupid and umbrella-opening.

But after all, that's my car and my decision and my responsibility to remove the damned little thing, withouit their help if necessary. If I forget my key on the steering wheel and the car gets stolen, that's my problem. Same if I forget the little lights and my battery goes flat.

Now to the point: Is there anyone out there Toyotawizards non-stubborn stupid or umbrella-opening who is able and willing to tell me where exactly is the little ugly beast and how I I get there to remove it? (e.g. Does it not have a fuse for itself?) (Can I get an electrical citrcuit-diagram of this car somewhere?).

I hate automatic stuff that you cannot control and that's doing things you don't want. The only automatic thing I would have liked is a such gearbox, but they don't have one to offer for my 2 liter diesel!

Please, don't let me down with the beeper!

Cheers

Reply to
Keske Saram

Actually, I believe, quite a few years ago (or, at least, 1999) they came out with this interesting little thing called an 'integration' module. The module holds a couple of relays, some circuitry, and, of course, the beeper...

You MAY, if you can find the proper pins, disable the buzzer by taping over the +12V pin that goes to the beeper. I have NO idea, and can speculate how to find it with a meter, but, do you REALLY want to jeapordize your air bags? I can't see WHY the beeper would be part of the airbag circuit, but i could see how.

And, I bet, if you break this interesting little device, it's going to be a LOT of $$$ to repolace it...

Reply to
HachiRoku

I presume, this module is in the engine compartment? But the beeper obviously is somewhere under the dashboard!

If the airbag depends on the beeper to work (eg if it is placed in series with it), then it would be disabled if the beeper gets broke (same as if it is removed by me). So, this would be a stupid arrangement. (but, the Toyota dealer told me that the only thing on that car that never fails is the damned beeper!) What about an electrical circuit diagram? Is it available somewhere?

Besides, I am contemplating removing the door switch. Is there any "caveat" in doing that? It seems it is easy to unscrew .

Reply to
Keske Saram

Go to

and for a fee, you can access various repair manuals, including the wiring diagram.

I would not leave the door switch permanently removed because there will be a hole in the door that can admit water and promote rust.

You could unplug the connector from the back of the switch and leave the switch in place. You will not have the remnders and you will lose the use of the dome light from the driver's door but since you don't like automatic stuff, you can turn the dome light on and off manually. This solution gives you the option of reconnecting it and easily returning it to normal operation and you don't need a wiring diagram to unplug a switch.

Reply to
Ray O

This thing works by supplying Ground, not voltage. So, if you remove the door switch, it has to be grounded out, or the beeper will always be going off and the door open light will be on all the time.

I'm not sure of any other consequences of doing this.

These things are annoying, eh? It used to be the beeper was a separate entity and all you had to do was disconnect it.

As far as a diagram, you'd have to find a service manual somewhere.

Reply to
HachiRoku

DUH! Too early in the morning for me!!!

DON'T GROUND THE SWITCH!!! or the damn beeper will be going off all the time! Cover it with electrical tape. But, like Ray says, you'll lose the interior lighting when the door is open.

Reply to
HachiRoku

If your effort is to silence the beeper, the easiest thing is to root around under the dash, find the little box with the Sonalert piezo beeper, and then wrap it in about three layers of electrical tape. If that's not enough, add another few layers and try again.

KISS.

It quiets the damned thing to the point where it ceases to be annoying, does not require any electrical modifications to the car, does not affect any other systems, and it's quickly and easily reversible if you (or the next owner of the car) want to restore the functionality.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Thanks a lot, I've just found it. But its $45!! damn expensive....

Reply to
Keske Saram

Thanks, good advice, but do you know how I can get "under the dash"? There's a kind of oval frame piece that surrounds the counters. When I pull on it, the top side comes out (so far, I did not dare going further!). Or is it some other part that you have to remove?

Reply to
Keske Saram