RAV4 ECM upgrade

I just received a recall notice from Toyota asking me to get my dealer to reload my 2002 RAV4's ECM with new, "corrected" software. At issue apparently is a misleading ON condition of the malfunction indicator light. Fair enough, though I presently do NOT have the false ON condition...

In view of my experience with mainstream (non-automobile) firmware upgrades, does anyone know if it's possible for me, or the dealer, to confirm the version that's *currently* loaded, as well as the version number of the new code? I'd hate to spend a half-day getting the same revision imaged over top of itself!

TIA, Geoff.

Reply to
Geoff

I had the recall work done about two weeks ago, and since then the check engine light has stayed off.

I have no clue what they did "behind closed doors" but the light is off, no change in gas mileage or drivability BUT the State would now allow them to inspect the vehicle which wasn't allowed with the light on.

Reply to
tak

Yes, the version of the firmware can be confirmed 3 ways. By comparing the VIN with the range of affected vehicles, by ECM part number, and by "reading" the ECM.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks to both Ray O and tak for those inputs! I go tomorrow for the surgery....also found a mess of TSBs on the RAV4 site that were *very* illuminating in general knowledge terms...I've requested to watch the operation, but I'm getting the usual liability/injury response (yeah, I know "watching" is kinda like witnessing paint dry...I'm interested in the location of the connectors, the instrument screens, the confidence of the operator, the firmware rev. numbers, etc. etc.). Think I'll wear my safety boots and take my hardhat as trump cards...

Thanks again, guys, Geoff.

Reply to
Geoff

I suspect that the technician will plug into the OBD II connector under the driver's side of the dash, turn the key, and push a button on the Toyota Hand-Held tester.

Reply to
Ray O

Just for completeness, here's the wrap-up: Took just over an hour; they wouldn't let me watch (surprise!), but did dump for me the before and after cal-IDs for the firmware. Unfortunately, I think these came out of their database, rather than by interrogating the ECM, which is what I really wanted. So I have "as should be", rather than "as is" data . No noticeable difference afterwards, except *perhaps* a lower idle for the first 5 minutes...seems to be back to normal now, though, and I may have imagined it, and/or it may be unrelated to the ECM change. I *did* learn that they had to first download the automatic-trans file into the tester, having only the manual-trans file currently on board... All in all, fairly painless.

Geoff.

Reply to
Geoff

Thanks for the update!