RAV4 Maintenance - "Inspect" Valve Clearance?

The owner's manual for my 2001 RAV4 says to "inspect" engine valve clearance at 4 years / 60,000 miles. My trusted independent mechanic says that the book calls for 8 hours of labor, and suggested that the Toyota dealer might be able to do it cheaper. Failing in that, he said that he recommends checking clearance when the valves get noisy.

Question 1 - I have never heard of "inspecting" valve clearance. When I worked on my old solid-lifter machines, we just called it "adjusting the valves". Is this just Japanese lingo, like using "packing" for what we call "gasket"?

Question 2 - Also from my old car experiences, we didn't worry about the valves being a little loose, but if they were tight, a valve could get burned. If I remember correctly, loose valves are noisy, but tight valves don't make any telltale sound. Am I at risk for burning the valves if I don't get this service done?

Question 3 - The maintenance schedule does not call for a timing belt replacement. Is this because of engine design, such as use of a chain in lieu of a belt?

Thank you for your advice.

Jim W.

Norfolk, VA

Reply to
JAWs

there is really no need to check the valves. they are buckets and can only be changed by replacing the entire bucket and taking the cams out. Also 8 hours is REDICULOIS! that is probably to remove the cams to set the clearance. The only typical thing that will change valve clearance is carbon, but if it runs ok and isnt noisy dont worry about it. lastly that car has a timing chain, so you never need to worry about changing it for maintenence. Just change the oil every 3,000 miles or 4 months. And change the trans fluid every 30k.

Reply to
toyotawiz

about

I agree, I put 220k on and 91 Camary and never had to adjust valves on it even though it was called for and it still ran fine at the end when it was in a wreck. Do not give it another thought.

Reply to
SnoMan