RAV4 Park Pilot

My SO just bought a 2007 RAV4. It is a nice vehicle. Her vehicle has the "Park Pilot." This is an option that uses ultrasonic sensors to detect opbjects behind the vehicle when you back up. Apparently it is a distributor (Southeast Toyota in this case) installed option. Her's does not work properly. It beeps slowly when there is nothing behind the vehicle but doesn't seem to beep faster when there is something behind the vehicle. It only came with a one page instruction sheet. Does anyone have any details on exactly how this think option should work, and wether there are any adjustements? She will probbaly need to take it back to the dealer, but some information on how it is supposed to work, and what can be done to correct the problem would be helpful She purchased the car from a small dealership and it is a pain to leave it for service. Additional information might help to make it a one trip fix.

Reply to
C. E. White

I found 2 products named Park Pilot, one from Bosch

and another from a company called Rostra:
Rostra site has installation instructions and an owner's manual. Unfortunately, neither site has repair instructions.

Reply to
Ray O

Wow, thanks for the links. Unfortunately neither installation looks exactly like the one on the RAV4. Interestingly, the Rostra instruction include an outline drawing of what looks like a RAV4. The RAV4 Park Pilot is listed as an accessory in the RAV4 On-Line accessory catalog (Options Park Pilot (w/Black Molded Sensors) $329). The RAV4 installation includes a button in the console that allows the Park Pilot to be disabled. The Rostra version does not include this feature.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

I've been thinking about something like the Park Pilot or a rear-view camera for our Sequoia, which has poor visibility. Let us know how your S.O.'s Park Pilot works once it is calibrated.

Reply to
Ray O

I strongly believe the Toyota Distributor (Southeast Toyota) installed Park Pilot is from Rostra. After browsing through the Rostra web site, I found that you could search by vehicle (technical support menu). For a 2006 RAV4, the recommended kit refers to a deactivation button like the one in the SO's RAV4.

I now have the following theory on what is wrong - My SO's RAV4 is a

2007. The rear bumber is different thatn the 2006. I suspect they are using the 2006 kit. Becasue of the different bumper shape, the sensors are improperly angled. Rostra offers angled bezels, but those are not installed on the SO's RAV4. The only thing I don't understand is why the vehicle was shipped with an installation that clearly doesn't work properly.

My old Expedition had a similar system (factory installed). It always worked great. My SO liked it so much, She specifically included that in her list of must have options.

Rostra does not appear to have a Park Pilot specifically tailored to the Sequoia. I suppose the generic kit would work. Is the backup sensor a factory option for the Sequoia?

Ed

Reply to
Ed White

Unfortunately, backup sensors and rear view cameras are still not available as factory options on the Sequoia.

Reply to
Ray O