Rav4 versus Forester

Hi,

I am in the processing of deciding between a Rav4 versus a Subaru Forester....

What advantages does a Rav4 have over a Forester??

How is the visiblity of Rav4? I do alot a parking on the street and need to see well in backing into spots.

How is the ease of access for elderly into a Rav4?

Haven't test driven a Rav4 yet but hope to soon....

Any thoughts on the Branch Toyota dealership in Watertown, Conneticut or A-1 in New Haven??

Thanks,

John W.

Reply to
milkroute

I've never driven a Forester, but I have driven a 2007 RAV4. Access was easy for me ( I am 6'2" and large). The one I drive has a 4 cylinder engine and an automatic transmission. It is a Front Wheel Drive version.

What I like about the RAV4:

- good size

- decent gas mileage

- good performance (espcially considering it is just a 4 cyclinder)

- adequate interior room

- queit and smooth at low speeds

- well assembled

- 0 problems in first 12,000 miles

What I don't like about the RAV4:

- bizarre collection of controls

- wind noise at highway speed (65+)

- mediocre seats (base model)

- cheap looking interior (base model)

- outside mounted spare tire

- side opening rear door

I have not sat in a higher level model, so it is possible the interior complaints (look and seats) don't apply if you pay for the better level of trim.

Here is my bottom line -

I think the RAV4 is likely to be more reliable, get better gas mileage, and have a lower lifetime cost. I think the Forester has a better 4WD system. If you need 4WD, you should weigh that into your decision. However, the RAV4 4WD system may be good enough for your conditions. I'd gvie the edge in external appearance and ground clearance to the Forester. Unless you are in an area with a lot of snow, and you can stomach the weird RAV4 control layout, I'd give the RAV4 the edge. You know it will be reliable. Thhe drivetrain is essentially carried over from the Camry.

Ed

Reply to
Ed White

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ John, the first thing you want to do (make that HAVE to do) is to drive both vehicles yourself, not just around the block but for at least fifteen minutes or a half hour. Automobiles are such a subjective matter that literally, what's one man's meat is another's poison. What may be an advantage to you because of your stature or whatever may be just horrible to someone not your size. And there are other things to consider, like the dashboard layout, space between pedals, whether or not it has a footrest on the left for your left foot, and a hundred other things. Before you ask a stranger a continent away for his likes and dislikes, find out for yourself....once you get a fair idea of the features of each vehicle is the time to ask for opinions. Good luck.

Reply to
mack

A buddy of mine has either an Outback or Forester, its awd and about 53k miles - he's had a fair amount of problems with it, last one was after emission warranty expired and was, a "lean air flow sensor" bad - code said replace, was nearly $400 part and it did not cure the check engine light - he went back and I've not heard of latest. He had more odds/ends wrong with his Subaru in 40k than I had with the 02 Highlander at 71k when I got the

08 - So, since Highlander and Rav4 both similar running gear I'd stay toyota based on just the one I know about (Subaru)

Ron

Reply to
ron