Re: 2000 Lexus ES300 - intermittent cold start problem - help please

I'm not into automobile DIY. So, if I were to get these parts, would a mechanic do this for me? I can already hear my mechanic telling me to just replace the starter.

See below:

The engine does not turn over, I think. I'm not sure about > the clicking sound. Wasn't paying attention for > a clicking sound the last time that it happened (~1 week ago). > Will listen for it if it happens again. > > The car has just over 130,000 miles on it. > > Haven't tried jump starting. The last time that > the problem happened, I tried giving it gas while > turning the ignition, which worked.
Reply to
Adam

23037

Could this not be simply a dying battery? Or maybe a loose POS(+) / NEG(-) connection. I've had both with identical symptoms.

Anyway, here's the unbroken URL.

Anonymous

> 23037

The Interstate Battery (MTP-24F) is new (January 2008). But, I'll double check the connection.

Reply to
Adam

> > 23037

23037

Well, that's what I get for being late on the thread !

Reply to
Anonymous

Pardon about the broken URLs for some reason (text/html?).

The mechanic should be able to do it. But many would not because it's not cost effective, especially if something other than the normal wear parts went bad. An aftermarket starter usually comes with a decent warranty. Some even a lifetime warranty.

New starter, lifetime warranty:

Reman starter, 2 year warranty:
That's why you just about can't find one who's willing to re-boot a halfshaft (especially if a rebuilt halfshaft is avail for < $60, for example).

Reply to
johngdole

Sure, it helps to check the connection and clean the contacts:

If you want you can do a voltage test as well, see what the volt is at the starter's POS while you crank. Generally you should not see lower than 11v, but the spec may require higher.

Good luck.

Reply to
johngdole

It depends on your mechanic, but it should be a fairly easy job for a competent automotive technician.

Reply to
Ray O