Re: 2007Camry V6 consumers reports not recommended. Why?

More over, Toyota knew of the V6 transmission problem from the beginning, but decided to market the car anyway:

Toyota CEO Admits Toyota Marketed Camry With Bad Transmissions

Consumer Reports' decision not to recommend three Toyota vehicles does not signal an end to the company's bulletproof quality reputation, Toyota's U.S. sales chief told Automotive News today.

Lentz said that despite the high-profile rebuff by the respected magazine, the Japanese automaker still placed first in reliability in six of eight categories, and 44 percent of the magazine's recommended vehicles are Toyotas.

"The bad news from our perspective is we never want to see vehicles on the 'not recommend' list," he said.

Lentz said that because of problems Toyota found with an automatic transmission, he was not surprised the V-6 Camry failed to make the recommended list. He said the problem was with design, not manufacturing, and was quickly corrected.

"We knew in the very beginning we had a transmission issue with that vehicle," he said.

The problem caused the vehicle to either get stuck in second gear or shift past second gear roughly. The problem can be traced to a snap ring that holds the transmission housing together.

"I don't think it's going to have a long-term impact on the overall view of Toyota as a reliable product," Lentz said.

On Mar 10, 7:20 pm, "Ed White" wrote: [snip] Apparently A-W knows how to do a proper 6 speed. I assume Toyota

must have been looking for some special advatage with their U660E and it > hasn't worked out, yet. > > Ed
Reply to
johngdole