Re: 2008 minivans: Honda Odyssey vs Toyota Sienna

Consumer Reports says Sienna gets 19 in mixed driving just like my Odyssey. Unfortunately I drive mostly around town in it and not on highway so it averages Odyssey averages 17. Meanwhile my wife gets easily 34 in Camry hybrid, city or highway, just as EPA figures indicated.

Reply to
Art

Figures match my 2006 Odyssey perfectly.

It may get that on a long trip, but for day-to-day driving...

From Consumer guide Automotive

Forget the EPA. Consumer Guide's auto editors drove 150,000 miles last year. We drove to work, to day care, to the grocery store, and on vacation. We drove through record heat, blinding snow, driving rain, and confounding road construction, keeping track of every drop of fuel we used along the way.

The EPA admits its fuel economy numbers are estimates. Our numbers are real. A typical Consumer Guide test car is evaluated by at least four editors, all of whom account for their individual fuel usage. Here are the vehicles in each class that used the least amount of fuel while in our care.

Honda Odyssey-16.4 MPG

Toyota Sienna-16.4 MPG

Consumer Reports faired a little better with 19 MPG.

As one poster noted about the Odyssey

"my normal gas mileage is 17 mpg in the city and 24.5-25 mpg on the highway. I've gotten as low as 15 mpg in the winter here (10% ethanol fuel) and as high as 27.1 mpg on the highway (traveling by myself with just two suitcases). I keep my tires at 37 psi, which is what made my gas mileage increase by 1-2 mpg."

Another noted about his Sienna " I drive 80MPH and still get 24 MPG" which I will dismiss as total BS.

Reply to
Art

My Odyssey has a onboard computer that I verify every fill up. It gets 17 around city. Never better around town. End I have the more efficient engine that turns off 3 cylinders during coasting. I believe they may have a new version that can turn off 4 cyclinders in the Accord. Not sure if it is in the Odyssey though.

Reply to
Art

/all/ modern fuel injected cars turn of /all/ cylinders when coasting.

it's /some/ cars that turn off cylinders when /cruising/.

Reply to
jim beam

My Sienna gets 25-28 on a trip. It may be hard for people to believe, but not for me as I own and drive one and have checked it on more than one trip. That is the way it is.

Reply to
dbu

Actually, I was in Colorado a couple of weeks ago, and all the gas there seemed to be a couple of points lower in octane than what I'm used to in Texas. I don't know why -- something to do with the altitude, maybe? Alas, I have no photos to support my assertion.

Reply to
Paul

I read through this thread with amusement and I believe dbu. There is a Sunoco gas station here in Baltimore County, MD. It was on York Road, by Seminary Avenue in an area called Lutherville. They sell Premium at the same cost as mid grade. It used to be a Mobile station before they changed maybe over a year ago, but apparently same owner since they were doing this when they were a Mobile station. They have mechanics bays and a very small convenience section.

Why do they do this? Don't know - maybe to get people to buy gas, get to know them and maybe have their car worked on by the mechanic? I don't ask, but used to buy gas there in my previous car when I used premium. Also had the car worked on by the mechanic before. He's a decent mechanic. If you're ever in the area and want to see for yourself, swing by. They've been doing this at least for the past 5 years. And no, I'm not going to take a picture - not worth the time, but it is a brand name gas.

-Dave

Reply to
Dave L

"Dave L" ...

Back when I was in HS and College I worked at a Shell station in Middletown NJ. This was at the time gas was about 50 cents per gallon. Whenever we ran out of regular [and it happened many times] we were instructed to lower the price of premium down to the regular price so the customers wer not pissed off that we had none of their gas. They were always really happy about this. This was when the price was regular, 2 cent more for midgrade and 4 cent more for premium. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Yup, I remember when the spread between regular and premium was much smaller than now. When did gas stations start coming out with mid-grade? I thought it was more recent than the gas being 50 cents.

-Dave

Reply to
Dave L

"Dave L" ...

Now I am trying to remember better (ouch). I think that the mid-grade was the unleaded right when unleaded came out, and the regular and premium were leaded. This was 1975-8ish. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

explains that lower octaneworks OK in high altitude.

-- Ron

Reply to
Ron Peterson

Ya got me there. I can't remember what the pumps were that far back. I wasn't even hear driving yet!

-Dave

Reply to
Dave L

deeb, ...........it is absolutely amazing how full of shit you are. Yeah, but...yeah, but.....

Reply to
Truckdude

When one is sure of themselves they don't have to prove anything to anyone else.

Reply to
badgolferman

25-28 mpg, its a fact. If you don't like it too bad. You are one of those bozos that floor board it from stop light to stop light then complain about gas milage, oil companies and GWB. A bozo that has a four-wheeled drive full sized pickup truck, every other word out of your mouth is green, an obama lawn sign, and watches al gores move over and over again. Funny stuff.
Reply to
dbu

ADD kicking in again? The subject at hand was your gas price claim and your myriad of BS excuses for not being able to prove it. I couldn't care less about your mpg or your mistaken assumptions about how I drive.

Reply to
Truckdude

Then why even mention it in an open forum?

Reply to
Truckdude