Re, Brakes

Need to know what tools, other then basic hand tools ,that are needed to replace pads and rotors on a 2003 corolla.

Reply to
Digit

Yes, you would need to know what tools, other than basic hand tools, are needed to replace pads and rotors on a 2003 Corolla so you can assemble the tools prior to attempting the work.

You will need: A jack Jack stands A wheel chock A can of brake cleaner Set of metric wrenches inclcuding 12 through 16 mm and whatever size is needed to remove the wheel lug nuts Wire brush (toothbrush size is good) to clean up the clips and springs Flat bladed pry bar or screwdriver to get the caliper off Safety glasses High temperature wheel bearing grease or anti-seize to use on the slides and hub-rotor-wheel interface Rags or paper towels A couple of quarts of brake fluid if you want to flush it while you're at it (add a 10 mm box wrench and container to catch the flushed brake fluid to the list of tools)

The list of "nice to have" tools would include an air compressor, impact wrench and impaqct sockets,. air ratchet, vehicle lift, and parts washer.

Reply to
Ray O

Reply to
Dave

If it were me I'd add a knowledgeable blonde tech with long legs so I could watch her work as I quaffed a cool one and gave advice...(but then, that's just me)...YMMV... :)

Reply to
Gord Beaman

I agree! Remember the old adage, "you got a lot riding on your brakes"? Simple to do, but also easy to foul up.

But I might also add its useful to have a c clamp to compress the wheell cylinders also (what I used anyhow).

Reply to
ron

Thanks for the Info. 25 year GM Tech so tools are not a concurn. First Inport I have worked on. Thanks to all.

Reply to
Digit

I'd heard of a female brunette Hyundai tech who supposedly worked as an "exotic dancer" and could probably handle the brake job without any problems...

Reply to
Ray O

Good point about the C clamp. I always forget to get it out when I'm gathering tools for a brake job. Some people use water pump pliers instead of a clamp but I find the clamp a lot easier to use.

Reply to
Ray O

No special tools are necessary. The bolts holding the caliper on are regular bolts and a lot easier to get to than the hex setup on GM's.

Reply to
Ray O