Re: Hey JSB, You play Bass?

Joe,

> > Do you play Bass? Did you get that fretless yet? I'm thinking of > buying a Hohner B2B. > > Ed S

You might want to float that Hohner idea in alt.guitar.bass before you jump. Is this your first bass?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Interesting, however:

1970, 'prototype', all original, valued at $2500...

I like playing bass! ;)

(If you have a few bucks, have a look at a

or if you can find a Lidl...good luck. They play themselves.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Not the first bass but stopped for about 6 years after getting very bad tennis elbow in my left arm. I sold my J-bass and P-bass (MiM) and the Warmoth 5-string with graphite neck I built but hated. Been playing classical guitar the past 5 years but the urge to get back to bass is getting very strong. I like the small bodies of the Steinberger-style basses. Still doing research on make and fretted vs. fretless.

BTW, I discovered my company is capturing every web page I connect to so I won't be posting during work hours.

=================

Hopefully Hohner's basses are better than their web site, which is designed to annoy.

Anyway, post a question about that bass in alt.guitar.bass. I don't know anything about it. If it's made in China, you may end up with problems typical of instruments from that country. Their controls tend to disintegrate pretty quickly.

One comment, though: Regardless of the size or shape of the bass, you'll still need to arrange your hand at the correct angle relative to the strings. With a slim bass, that may mean that your wrist lands right on the edge of the instrument. Now you'll have wrist problems. The solution to your shoulder problem is more likely to involve posture. If you sit in a soft chair when you play, you sink down, your legs are higher relative to your shoulders, and your right arm is forced higher. A normal chair will lessen this problem, and standing should eliminate it completely since your arm's hanging down instead of propped up.

You might also want to check out the less expensive Peavey fretless basses. Here's one:

I picked up a used one today. The upper edge of the body is tapered to the same shape as my more expensive Peavey Cirrus. Very comfortable to play.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Not quite. I also have an Ibanez 5-string I picked up a few months ago for $150. It's OK. Not spectacular, but for what I paid, it's decent. When I get a few $$$ I'll change the pickups.

The Behringer was a whim. A guy I was playing with had one, he was playing guitar and I was using his rig, the BX4500 and an old Kustom 215 cabinet. I liked the sound of the Behringer so much I bought one. They're only $250 and 450 watts into 4 ohms. BUT, I should have gotten a Peavey TKO 115. It was the same price, and one piece, so for smaller venues it would have been plenty, and easier to carry. Maybe later...

And the Ampeg cabinet is MUCH older than the picture I linked to, we're talking early 70's. GREAT cabinet, but weighs 105 pounds!

I have a small PA for smaller gigs when we need it.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Those things are outstanding! I met a guitar player a few years ago while I was attending an Open Mic, and they asked me if I wanted to play with him. Sure (but what is THAT going to sound like?!?!)

It was AMAZING! and he knew how to rip it up to boot. We played for almost an hour, and hit it off pretty good. He works for Yankee Candle in their IT department and is out straight. We had a band for a few months, but it was too much for him.

He also has a Peavey Wolfgang that a guy at work just GAVE him! He got me the Fender cabinet for $65, in MINT condition. (YC had a rec center, and the owner was a guitar player so he set up a band room all eqipped.) THey also had some QSC 400W/channel/800W bridged PA amps they sold for $100 that I missed out on... :(...

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Sounds like someone was laundering band equipment using company money.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

The original owner sold out to a British co, and the new owners decided they weren't in the music business and liquidated the stuff for near nothing. They just didn't want it.

They actually auctioned off most of the stuff to dealers, but they asked my friend if he was interested in anything before they sold it.

You should see the Fender Showman (2 4-12 cabinets, and 250W) he got for $250...MINT!

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B