Re: How many O2 sensors...?

I have a guy telling me there's also an O2 sensor ( 93 Corolla 7AFE )

> after the catalytic converter, as well as the one on the exhaust manifold. > He says if it was built for CA there could be 2 after the CC. ( total 3? ) > > I'm totally confused now. > > I thought there was just the one to replace on the exhaust manifold. >

I am pretty sure that your Corolla has two O2 sensors. The O2 sensor located after the catalytic converter (known as sensor #2) does not have any effect on fuel economy or engine performance. The purpose of sensor #2 is to monitor O2 in the exhaust after it has passed through the catalytic converter and compare it with the O2 that sensor #1 is monitoring. If they are the same, then the catalytic converter is not working properly and the engine computer illuminates a check engine light.

Reply to
Ray O

"Ray O" wrote in news:giorq4$3rt$ snipped-for-privacy@news.motzarella.org:

In a '93?

I thought that started with the '96 model year for the Corolla.

I'm pretty sure Sarah has just one sensor, that being upstream of the cat (in the exhaust manifold).

Reply to
Tegger

Yup, my bad, it looks like 93 Corollas had to have CA emissions in order to have the after-cat sensor.

Reply to
Ray O

"Ray O" wrote in news:gip3k9$q1e$ snipped-for-privacy@news.motzarella.org:

That would have been OBD-I (originally called simply "OBD").

OBD was the immediate precursor to OBD-II, being installed on CA vehicles from 1988 to about 1995. OBD was sort of a test-bed for the nationwide OBD-II system that became federally mandatory from the 1996 model year.

All pre-'96 Corollas retained single sensors if they were not equipped with CA-compliant OBD.

Reply to
Tegger

That's the easy one to spot.

No, Colorado.

Reply to
Sarah Houston

I think it has to do with the angle of hills too.

I know when I try to start up a hill with the FWD, if there's ice, the wheels just spin. Then if I can turn the car around and back up ( assuming it's a short distance to the street above ) it works fine.

Reply to
Sarah Houston