Re: Mobil 1 for baby

One mechanic (or auto service employee) told me he doesn't use synthetic oil because it doesn't contain as many detergents as conventional oil. As a result, your engine becomes dirtier.

He even said the reason synthetic oil does not need to be changed as often as conventional is because synth oil does not get as dirty since it doesn't have as many detergents to clean the engine!

Another mechanic (or auto service employee) I spoke with had no knowledge of the first employee's claims. It seems if you talk to 4 people, you'll get 4 different answers ;-)

Reply to
Built_Well

So after putting 4 quarts of slippery Mobil 1 inside the Camry, the tech returned to me the 2 unused quarts. How long can that synthetic oil remain good just sitting on the shelf? It'll be sitting on the shelf for at least the next 6 months.

But for argument's sake, can it still remain good after

2 or 3 years on the shelf?
Reply to
Built_Well

The bottle is sealed. I would imagine that its shelf life is several hundred years (although I would think Mobil would come out with a better version during its shelf life).

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

========

Thanks Jeff. I can accept that the shelf life of the oil base might be hundreds of years, but I'm a little more skeptical that the shelf life of the additives, synthetic molecules, and detergents might also be hundreds of years.

Reply to
Built_Well

According to the "Ask Mobil" section at

the answer they provide
is a 5-year shelf life.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks Ray O. Once again he is on top of things.

I saw something funny the other day. My local Nissan dealer is running tv ads offering something called "Import Loyalty" cash of $1,000.

Sounds like they're trying to lure loyal Honda and Toyota drivers to Nissan, since the $1,000 cash does not apply to traditional "Big 3" drivers.

They must get a lot of Ford owners buying Nissans but not so many Toyota and Honda owners :-)

When I was looking at Hyundais many months ago, Hyundai was offering a "Hyundai Loyalty" rebate, but it was only available to existing Hyundai owners.

I've never seen Toyota offer a "Toyota Loyalty" rebate. Seems they don't need to :-)

Reply to
Built_Well

Thanks Ray O. Once again he is on top of things.

I saw something funny the other day. My local Nissan dealer is running tv ads offering something called "Import Loyalty" cash of $1,000.

Sounds like they're trying to lure loyal Honda and Toyota drivers to Nissan, since the $1,000 cash does not apply to traditional "Big 3" drivers.

They must get a lot of Ford owners buying Nissans but not so many Toyota and Honda owners :-)

When I was looking at Hyundais many months ago, Hyundai was offering a "Hyundai Loyalty" rebate, but it was only available to existing Hyundai owners.

I've never seen Toyota offer a "Toyota Loyalty" rebate. Seems they don't need to :-)

Reply to
Built_Well

Keep in mind that dealer ads do not necessarily reflect the automaker's marketing efforts and target buyers.

In 2005, the brands with the highest owner loyalty were Lexus - 63%, Toyota - 62.6%, Honda - 59.9%, Chevrolet - 57.3%, & Hyndai - 56.3%.

In 2006, the highest was Toyota - 63.9%, Lexus - 63.2%, Honda - 60.3%, BMW -

56.5%, & Scion 56.3%.
Nissan was at 48.8%

Toyota's scores are about the same as what Toyota's internal surveys have shown for a long time. What the scores do not show is that customer loyalty to the dealership where they purchased their car is about 20 points lower - IOW, people are highly likely to purchase another Toyota, but not as likely to purchase from the same dealership. Toyota has plans and programs in place to help dealerships improve the customer experience, but dealerships have to want to improve ;-)

Reply to
Ray O