Re: Motortrend article: 100 MPG+ Chevy Volt, GM's "Moon Shot"

You mean like Toyota, Honda and every other manufacture has been doing for the past ten years, selling the vehicles buyers wanted to buy? Honda even tried to make a "truck" out of a car, because THAT is what buyer wanted to buy LOL

>> My hat's off to GM if they can make it a success. > > > Promise them anything, but sell them a SUV?
Reply to
Mike Hunter

Mike, selling is making someone want to buy. If they already want to buy, no selling is required. Historically, in the automotive industry, selling involves appealing to a prospect's self esteem. That's why they put names like Tundra and Yukon on large (mostly hollow) vehicles with large diameter exhaust pipes (think penis) and big tires (think tall). Americans have been played for suckers for years.

Reply to
Was Istoben

No, it failed because it sucked. It wasn't until '88 that they finally got it to the point where it was halfway decent. It's not like the lack of a back seat has hurt Boxster sales to any appreciable extent.

nate

Mike Hunter wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Really? The Boxster is a nitch market car? How many are sold at $60,000? How do you account for the fact when the two seat T-Bird hit the market it sold well, but two years later sales were in the dumper. When Ford decided to change it to a four seater, all the sages said it was a mistake to do so, but sales of the four seater T-Bird were quadruple those of the best annual sales of the two seater? ;)

Reply to
Mike Hunter

What you say is true, but the Fiero was also a niche car. It failed; Porsche didn't, they just come out with something newer and better every

15 years or so. If the Fiero had been almost as good as a Porsche at half the price, it'd have been redesigned twice and still on the market.

nate

Mike Hunter wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Did it work? :)

nate

(not sure I'd want to know what kind of female would be attracted by my cars... one that's real rough on the outside but beautiful and fast inside?)

Reply to
Nate Nagel