Re: Motortrend article: 100 MPG+ Chevy Volt, GM's "Moon Shot"

Did you calculate how long you could have driven a Carolla, with the $5,000 premium you paid to buy your Pruis, before you would have spend any additional funds on gasoline? I seems to me you could have driven the Corolla for at least four years on that $5,000 before you spent ANY money for gas

There are several ways to figure the economy of the Volt, but perhaps the > most realistic is to forget about published MPG (really intended as a > comparative datum) and consider $ per 10k miles. Such a calculation will > include your local rate for electricity, and will consider your driving > habits over a period of time. > > I did that for my Prius, and discovered that it costs about 5c a mile for > fuel. Remember, 100% of the Prius propulsion energy comes from gasoline. > There is no other source whatsoever, but the hybrid system permits the use > of a highly efficient ICE that has poor acceleration characteristics, > supported by an electric motor which has maximum torque at zero rpm. The > Volt, on the other hand, can be 100% plug-in for average days (for me), > with the ICE entering the equation only when I drive further than, say, 40 > miles between charges. > > If GM's Volt project delivers its promoted configuration, it will cost ME > less than 3c per mile. > > Neither figure includes maintenance, depreciation, (in)convenience, etc., > but an ICE that is designed to run at constant rpm can be amazingly > durable, and electric motors are usually good for hundreds of thousands of > hours. I won't talk about the battery... > > Does it make sense to pay $40k to save $0.02 per mile? At 20k miles per > year that's $400, or 1% of the car's purchase price. So, the answer is NO. > But it's an engineering wonder that fascinates this early adopter - which > is why I bought my '04 Prius in Oct '03 when it first hit the market. $$ > benefits over time were secondary but gratifying. > > I'd order a Volt today if my local Chevy dealer would accept the deposit. > > Ike
Reply to
Mike Hunter

Or buy 2 Corollas for the price of Volt.

Reply to
Ray O

Sure, but that's not why this early adopter (engineer) bought the Prius. I quickly installed indicators on various system functions, and a ScanGauge, to make operating it more satisfying. It was years later that gas prices skyrocketed. Somewhere in there, the state provided HOV-lane stickers, which was a cherry on top of the cake. I could (and still can) drive by myself in the HOV lanes.

So calculating the five-year costs of the Prius vs. a Corolla would not influence the decision.

Back to your point, in my opinion the Prius is more comparable to the Camry than the Corolla, so the difference is much less. And, there were nifty features on the Prius that weren't on the Camry - at any price.

All in all, the Prius has been a good experience.

Mike Hunter wrote:

Reply to
Ike

The Corolla is the most comparable Toyota model for the older Prius (we have two 2002s in the family), but it is hardly a straight-across comparison. The Prius comes standard with amenities like power mirrors and automatic climate control (not available even as options on the Corolla, as I read the specs) and power windows, power door locks, cruise control and ABS. In the last 40 years I have had a lot of cars. The Prius I now have is my second favorite, edged out by a Lotus Europa from my bachelor days. If you haven't driven a Prius long enough to get the feel of it you can be excused for wondering what the attraction is. The perfectly smooth and competent delivery of power is addictive - when I drive any other car I wonder what all the revving and shifting is about. I can't speak for the current model Prius, but my wife and I absolutely love the maneuverability of the sedan. I bought mine used a couple years ago with 103K miles on it, and the seller's wife (it had been her car, actually) got teary when they left it with me. I totally understand.

The Prius (applies to my wife's and to mine) is also the most reliable car I've ever owned, by a huge margin. Mine has 120K miles on it and my wife's has 95K on it, and each has needed a windshield (this is Arizona, after all!), tires and routine maintenance... nothing else. Neither is anywhere close to needing brakes.

So, over the average 95K miles of my wife's Prius it burned about 2000 gallons of gas (mostly city miles). A Corolla would have used somewhat more than twice that, especially since a lot of the driving has been short trips, but let's call it 4000 gallons. At an average price of $2.50 the extra gas would have cost... lessee, $5000. How 'bout that. Now we are paying half the amount for gasoline (it's like buying gasoline for $1 per gallon, in fact), are driving cars we absolutely love, not paying for repairs. Kbb.com says the base 2002 Corolla with auto tranny at 100K miles is worth $4300 as a trade-in in my zip code, while the base 2002 Prius is worth $6400, which puts us about $2000 ahead and increasing every day. What's not to like?

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

"needed a windshield (this is Arizona,.."

What or who breaks out windshields in Arizona?

Reply to
A Muzi

Rocks being flung up from the road are a fact of life here - the state is mostly rock covered. My work truck averages a windshield every two years or so, but I put 25K per year on it and most of that is highway and freeway driving.

Reply to
Michael Pardee