Re: OT - cutting govt. worker pay

Crisis in the making... gubmint workers might actually quit their

> jobs! What are we ever to do? > > Funniest statement... "The unions are also warning that government > agencies won't be able to function properly" ROFLMAO > >

Seems to me that unions came about to protect workers from overbearing employers that forced 23-hour days with no lunch break and 25 lashes if a worker needed to pee.

Doesn't it stand to reason that a government employee would never have an overbearing employer, and if several of them had such an employer, the public good would be better served by punishing the employer? If private sector workers become unionized so they are protected FROM the actions of an unjust employer, wouldn't that mean that government workers are also working for an unjust employer?

Is it a good message that the government is an unjust employer, and that governmentn workers need to band together to prevent themselves from being treated poorly? The basic premise that government is abusive to its rank and file employees is offensive to me. And since I, as a tax payer, are bound to provide the remedy for the abuse that workers face at the hands of their employer, it seems better to me that the abuse of workers by government employers is better handled through the firing of the abusive employer rather than paying workers fat salaries and pensions so they take such abuse that they deserve a fat salary and a pension.

I find the entire notion of unionized government workers to be patently offensive because the premise is that government employment is abusive enough that workers would unionize.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

As a former gov't worker, and now a retired ex gov't worker. I remember when things were not so rosy. Instead of a raise they gave us more on our pensions. Instead of a raise they chopped a year or two off our pensions. Instead of a raise they would pay part of the health care. In spite of this the turnover was 1/3 of the workforce some years.

Reply to
FatterDumber& Happier Moe

If you are not happy with your job, get another one. You are complaining of the loss of stuff they wave in front of you to get you to take the job.

The problem is, "they" gave you our money, which in itself isn't a bad thing, but they then turned around and used our money not to pay you what they promised, but for other stuff. At the end of the day, they need even more of our money.

If you were not unionized, then all of you would have quit and the government would be looking for new workers that would accept the peanuts that you work was worth.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

If you are an originalist then the only gun you should own is a flintlock. The was the only gun used by the militias and US military.

By that arugment, the only free speech you can enjoy is the speech that they can here between you and the other side of the city center. You enjoy no free speech from a bull horn, or through a radio microphone.

By your argument, you have no rights that come through leveraging current technologies. That's absurd. Not absurd, ignorant.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland