Re: OT High pay for Singapore government officials

> > I believe that Singapore has the highest pay in the world for

> > politicians, their prime minister and chief supreme court justice each > > getting about $2M a year. That's a big reason why there's so little > > government corruption there. > > Cite.

I may have been using Singapore dollars, not US dollars:

'%20pay.html

The web page gives the source as the Asian Wall Street Journal, 10 Jul 2000

Several years ago, NY Times columnist and oversimplifier Thomas Friedman mentioned that number.

News video (in color):

The International Herald Tribune says the Singapore PM is being criticized for the big pay raise:

Reuters, April 5, 2007:

NY Times:

Putin-approved Pravda, April 9, 2007:

Also has Pamela Anderson story (gay man remains gay after marrying Pam

-- is she losing her sex appearl, or is this an example of gay being more a matter of nature vs. nurture?):

larry moe 'n curly

Your cited material seems to indicate a certain amount of dissatisfaction among the voters. I wonder just how corruption-free they truly are, and particularly if politicians here would be "satisfied" enough to no longer accept bribes if given similar salary levels.

High pay does not guaranty honesty. Congress and corporate America have illustrated this time and time again.

Current economic conditions here in reality would not lend support to this kind of increase. Most people, rightly so, believe our members of Congress to already be overpaid.

Maybe he just doesn't want to catch hepatitis C.

Reply to
witfal