Re: {OT} WTF does "Shovel Ready" mean?

I heard someone mention the term 'shovel ready' today.

> > Interesting term. Any idea what 'shovel ready' means?

Shovel ready: Everything you post.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I've heard it defined a couple of times, but can't remember the pertinent number. It means that a project has to be ready to start (physically) within "x" no. of days. (30, 60, 90? I can't remember!)

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

So a road project that would put thousands of people to work tomorrow is pork but if it's not off the drawing board and permits haven't been issued and studies not done so it'll take years to have an effect you're fine with it?

What a maroon.

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

Not necessarily. For shovel ready projects, they just have to be ready to go within a set period of time, 3 to 6 months, IIRC.

All of the road money? Not one cent was spent elsewhere?

And it was not the hole that killed anyone. Rather, it was a falling piece of ceiling.

Not necessarily. You can have good projects that weren't funded for various reasons, like lack of money. I don't know if you've notice, but there is a recession on. A lot of states ran out of money, so they wouldn't otherwise have been able to pay for the projects.

And some of the projects are for repairs that weren't needed until now, like many bridges who condition is deteriorating.

I am not suggesting that there isn't pork in the bill, though.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Okay, so why then did you post the question? Because you really didn't know the definition & looked up the time frame afterward, or because you knew the answer but don't think you'll agree with the nature of many of the projects?

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

Here is the breakdown of estimated new jobs created by those projects per state and congressional district:

Interestingly, Republican districts come out slightly ahead on average (8,185 to 7,767).

Reply to
Lucius Accius

"Shovel Ready", the EX you refuse to pay. "Shovel Ready" the neighbors dog that always barks at you. "Shovel Ready" Me, pretending to pick up my dogs crap off the neighbors lawn as I walk them. " Shovel Ready" Blagdovitch, "Shovel Ready" My 91 camry.

Reply to
ransley

"Shovel Ready" bury me tomorrow, as that is how I will feel in 4 hrs when I get up.

Reply to
ransley

But, but, but NYs senior Senator Schumer, the most liberal Senator after BO, said 'Americans don't mind a little pork.' LOL

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Yes ready to be buried deep. Its got terminal cancer.

Reply to
ransley

Barak Obama is a Senator? You had better read the newspaper. He works in a different branch of the federal government now. In fact, there has been a lot of news about how his replacement was chosen.

Try to keep up between drinks.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Seems you are the drunk, but perhaps you just forgot BO was a Senator. That is understandable, since he was running for President for most of the time he was a Senator. Check the Congressional Record. The only Senator that was more liberal was Schumer LOL

Barak Obama is a Senator? You had better read the newspaper. He works in a different branch of the federal government now. In fact, there has been a lot of news about how his replacement was chosen.

Try to keep up between drinks.

Jeff

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Jeff said, "He [Obama] works in a different branch of the federal government now," implying that Obama used to be a Senator. If you hadn't been drunk (anyone who denies drinking alcohol but at other times admits to it, as you have, is an alcholic) or senile, you would have known that and would not have made your silly comment.

Here's a picture of the 2007 Senate voting records of Obama (2007 was supposedly his most liberal year and the one for the "most liberal" label cited by idiots) and McCain. It disproves the "most liberal" claim:

And where does the Congressional Record say Obama was the most liberal Senator? Perhaps you're thinking of another publication, one which has at least twice in a row missidentified the most liberal Senator, because Obama ranked more like 16th most liberal, or about in the middle of his party, according to his voting record, while McCain about 59th most liberal and ot the left of his party. The National Journal said of its widely-cited rating:

"Our magazine -- or, more precisely, our annual congressional vote ratings edition -- has become a Republican talking point in the 2004 presidential campaign. And that's been a fascinating, and disconcerting, experience. Fascinating because we're more used to being cited in congressional hearings than on the Today show. Disconcerting because the shorthand used to describe our ratings of Kerry and Edwards is sometimes misleading -- or just plain wrong."

IOW your claim that Obama was the most liberal Senator is "just plain wrong" -- according to the very source widely quoted by drunken idiots.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly