Re: The price of Gas in UK

While we complain about our gas prices, people in the UK pay $8.60 a

> gallon. When our price hits $5.00 there will be a lot of SUVs and 4x4's > in the junk yard.

Where's the downside?

Reply to
hachiroku

Gas in the UK is much more heavily taxed than the US. The LIEberal leftists would love to tax our gas that high

here.

Charles the Curmudgeon.

Reply to
<n5hsr

...and then complain about how the high prices are hurting the poor, and that we need more funding for the poor.

Bill Putney

And the vicious circle continues...

Reply to
witfal

One alternative is to tax energy, but rebate the taxes directly or indirectly to the everyone equally. Those who conserve energy will keep most of the rebates while those who use more energy will end up paying more.

Another alternative is to give tax and other incentives for things that really conserve energy, as opposed to ethanol from corn which doesn't conserve all that much energy and whose energy is need to fuel other things, like people's body (i.e., as food).

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Reply to
witfal

Would not a sliding scale of per-unit usage do the same thing (like electricity is done now)? But in either case, the energy intensive manufacturers will, rightfully so, pass the costs on to us, the people who buy their products.

Bill Putney